Diet for high cholesterol
Cholesterol - necessary for cell membranes organic compound. It contributes to the development of vitamin D, the female and male sex hormones (estrogen, progesterone and testosterone), and participates actively in the work of the immune system.
As a result, many studies have found a link between cholesterol levels and the state of health of the person. In particular, with an excess of cholesterol dramatically increases the risk of developing atherosclerotic disorders and formation of plaques in blood vessels, causing ischemic stroke, heart attacks and other cardiovascular complications.
Thus, to prevent the development and progression of these diseases, it is necessary to observe with high cholesterol diet.
Menu hypolipidemic diet
To reduce cholesterol diet must be observed continuously. At the same time the consumption of saturated fats should be reduced by about one third, which will provide a stable decrease "bad" cholesterol, as well as to avoid medication.
If high cholesterol diet should be based on the fact that:
- Reduce blood cholesterol levels contribute to unsaturated fats (vegetable);
- Saturated fats (animal and synthetic) increase in blood cholesterol;
- Monounsaturated fats (fish and seafood) help to normalize cholesterol and triglycerides.
Useful and harmful products to lower cholesterol
In drawing up the menu hypolipidemic diet should take into account the following properties of the products and their effects on the body:
- Dairy products need only be degreased (milk - no more than 1, 5% of yogurt and kefir - less than 2%, cheese - 35% and below), the cream from cream and advised to stop;
- Eating margarine and butter should be significantly lower;
- From vegetable oils should be preferred olive, because it helps reduce cholesterol levels. Small amounts can be used in the diet such vegetable oils such as peanut, safflower, corn, and soybean;
- From meat to reduce cholesterol in the blood for a diet is better to choose lean beef, veal and lamb. Before cooking fat should be cut. Completely abandon meat nutritionists do not recommend, since a complete rejection of red meat can lead to anemia, particularly in young women. Meat by-products, such as hot dogs, sausage and bacon, it is better not to include in the diet;
- By-products, including the kidneys, liver and brain contain large amounts of "bad" cholesterol, so their hypolipidemic diet is not recommended;
- Poultry should prefer turkey meat because it contains only 3-5% fat;
- Fish in the diet at an elevated cholesterol is recommended to eat daily. Omega-3 fatty acids contained in it, according to the results of numerous studies, can significantly reduce the risk of heart attack and other cardiovascular complications. Most rich in omega-3 fatty acids are tuna, cod, and flounder, and fish eggs and squid, on the contrary, contain large amounts of "bad" cholesterol, and their hypolipidemic diet is not recommended;
- In the egg yolks contain a lot of cholesterol, so the diet can not eat 3-4 eggs a week, while the egg whites can be eaten without restriction;
- When used in the daily diet of 400 g or more fruits and vegetables there is a significant decrease in blood cholesterol levels. The lowest death rate from hypertension, ischemia and cancer in Europe is celebrated in countries where traditionally eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. With a high cholesterol diet for the most useful is the grapes, beets, pumpkin, avocado and eggplant, because they contain flavonoids promote excretion of "bad" cholesterol;
- During the diet when cholesterol in the blood is recommended to consume carbohydrate-rich wholemeal bread and pasta. They are not only an alternative source of energy, but also contribute to the binding and removal of "bad" cholesterol from the body;
- The bean contains a lot of vegetable protein. Soybeans, peas and beans should be included in the diet for high cholesterol, especially with the limited use of meat;
- Alcohol in moderation helps protect against atherosclerosis, because it reduces the viscosity of the blood and prevents the development of thrombosis;
- Nuts are a source of unsaturated fatty acids. According to the results of many studies is especially helpful for lowering cholesterol are walnuts.
With a high cholesterol diet should exclude all kinds of sweets, as elevated levels of blood sugar increases cholesterol.
During high cholesterol diet in preference should be given boiled and steamed food with the stew is recommended with a minimum amount of fat and oil, and they may be compensated for the lack of water.
In addition to dietary changes to reduce "bad" cholesterol in the blood should regularly engage in physical activity (morning exercises, walking and sports), stop smoking and reduce alcohol consumption.
Supplement the diet for high cholesterol can be herbal tea from the hips, corn stigmas, horsetail, hawthorn, buckthorn, mint and motherwort, which are useful for the prevention and comprehensive treatment of atherosclerosis.
Estimated daily menu diet for high cholesterol
At first lunch at hypolipidemic diet you can eat 150 grams of buckwheat, one serving of fruit (grapefruit, apple, pear or orange) and enjoy a cup of coffee or tea without sugar (you can with honey, and low-fat milk).
During the luncheon recommended vegetable salad (250 g), seasoned with lemon juice and olive oil and a glass of carrot juice fresh.
Lunch consists of 300 ml of vegetable soup with olive oil, 150 grams of steam chicken cutlet, 150 grams of grilled vegetables, 1 slice of wheat bread and a glass of orange juice.
At lunch you can eat 120 grams of oatmeal and a glass of apple juice.
Dinner includes 200 grams of lean fish, grilled, 150 g stewed vegetables, 1 slice of bran bread and a cup of tea (black, green or herbal).