Xeloda - is an anticancer drug.
The pharmacological action of Xeloda
Xeloda is an antimetabolite. The main active ingredient - capecitabine - considered to be a derivative of fluoropyrimidine carbamate. This component is activated in tumor tissue and has on it a selective cytotoxic effect. Formation of 5-FU is mostly in tumor tissue due to the action of tumor antiogennogo factor called thymidine. Because of this adverse systemic effects on body tissues 5FU minimized.
Metabolize 5-FU in 5-fluorouridine triphosphate and 5-fluoro-2-deoxyuridine monophosphate can both tumor and normal cells. By two different mechanisms data metabolites may damage the cells.
Xeloda is produced in the form of tablets of two types:
- coated light peach liner oblong weighing 150 mg;
- coated lactic pink or peach film coating also oblong but their weight is 500 mg.
As the main active ingredient can be considered an analogue of Xeloda Capecitabine.
- Combination Therapy with Docetaxel metastatic or locally widespread breast cancer, provided that the chemotherapy that included anthracyclines drug was not effective;
- monotherapy for metastatic or locally widespread breast cancer;
- treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer;
- adjuvant therapy of colon cancer;
- treatment of gastric cancer.
Analyzing medical reviews of Xeloda may be noted such contraindications:
- pregnancy and lactation;
- a severe form of kidney failure;
- dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficiency;
- hypersensitivity to the drug.
It is impossible to simultaneously take the drug Xeloda to chemical analogues, such as brivudine. It is also forbidden to give medicine to children.
Be wary prescribers with mild renal insufficiency, hereditary deficiency of lactase, as well as patients who are older than 60 years.
Instructions Xeloda: methods of use
According to the instructions, Xeloda should be taken orally, with a little water. It is better to use the tablet immediately after a meal, but not later than after 30 minutes. Designate the duration of treatment and dose may only doctor.
Generally, for the treatment of colon cancer, breast or colorectal cancer administered take the drug twice a day, 1250 mg / m2 (the dose calculated from body surface area). In such a case, treatment may continue for about two weeks.
During combination therapy for breast cancer treatment Xeloda is also produced during the 2 weeks at the same dose.
According to the reviews of Xeloda, taking the drug may be accompanied by a mass of side effects that occur from the gastrointestinal tract, central nervous system, eyes, digestive, cardiovascular and nervous systems. There may be a variety of dermatological and allergic reactions.
Conditions and terms
According to the instructions, Xeloda can be stored no longer than 3 years out of the reach of children, temperature not exceeding 25 degrees.