Sustiva - synthetic antiviral drug used in treatment of human immunodeficiency virus.
The active ingredient of the drug Sustiva - Efavirenz, slows catalyzing enzyme HIV - reverse transcriptase, the virus required for the implementation of its DNA into human cells.
Form release Sustiva
Sustiva is produced in the dosage form:
- Capsules containing 200 mg of efavirenz in each. 90 pieces per pack;
- Film-coated tablets containing 600 mg of efavirenz in each. 30, 60, 90 pieces in a package.
Analogues of Sustiva on the mechanism of action are drugs Viramune, Intelence, Nevirapine, Edyurant.
Sustiva instructions prescribed by adults, children and adolescents in conjunction with other drugs in the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1).
According to the instructions Sustiva contraindicated appoint:
- If hypersensitivity to any component of the formulation;
- In severe hepatic insufficiency;
- Children with body weight less than forty kilograms.
In addition, Sustiva contraindicated used simultaneously:
- With antiallergic agents - terfenadine, astemizole;
- With drugs that stimulate the motility of the gastrointestinal tract - cisapride;
- With hypnotic drugs - midazolam, triazolam;
- With anti-fungal drugs - voriconazole (at recommended doses);
- With preparations containing ergot alkaloids.
In a joint reception Sustiva with the above means may be as serious (and in some cases - a life-threatening) phenomena such as respiratory depression, prolonged sedation and cardiac arrhythmia. These symptoms worsen while taking Sustiva, and alcohol.
When the therapy should take precautions while taking Sustiva with means which include St. John's wort, as the latter reduces the concentration of efavirenz in the blood and thus its impact.
Patients who have a history of psychiatric disorders or are as high-risk due to the development of adverse events on the part of the psyche, should take Sustiva with caution.
Sustiva is not recommended during pregnancy and lactation (except in exceptional cases defined by the individual physician).
According to the instructions Sustiva is desirable to take on an empty stomach at bedtime.
The dosage and duration of use Sustiva is normally set a physician-immunologist with experience in the use of the drug.
Sustiva accept only a part of combined therapy with other antiretroviral drugs, namely nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) and / or protease inhibitors.
The recommended adult daily dose of Sustiva - 600 mg at one time.
To improve tolerability and reduce the severity of side effects (especially in the nervous system) for the first 2-3 weeks of treatment is recommended to take Sustiva just before bedtime. If symptoms are not reduced, the regime of the drug should be maintained for the entire period of treatment.
Teenagers and children with body weight of 40 kg, take Sustiva for adult circuit. In case of difficulty in swallowing tablets of the drug in children can be replaced capsules (200 mg) while maintaining daily dosage.
The safety of the drug Sustiva in children under the age of 3 years, or having a body weight less than 13 kg has not been studied sufficiently. For children weighing 13 to 40 kg of drug Sustiva administered in a daily dose of 200 mg.
When applying for Sustiva instructions are observed following side effects:
- Skin rash and itching. In rare cases may develop a fever and severe rashes, blisters, and which is accompanied by a strong peeling (desquamation), arising both on the skin and mucous membranes (in these cases, medication overturned);
- Dizziness, a feeling of "emptiness in my head", uncertainty, loss of balance;
- Sleep problems, hypersomnia, or difficulty falling asleep, brightness and unusual dreams;
- Mood changes, confusion, euphoria, irritability, tension, depression;
- Impaired concentration, and sometimes - a short-term memory loss;
- Serious psychiatric symptoms: severe depression, aggressive behavior, delusions, suicidal attempts, psychosis, paranoia;
- Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and sometimes - acute pancreatitis.
The use of alcohol and Sustiva
Simultaneous treatment with Sustiva, and alcohol, as well as narcotic drugs increases the side effects on the psyche and the nervous system.
The preparation is stored at a temperature no higher than 30 ° C, out of reach of children. Shelf life Sustiva - 36 months.