Prozac - antidepressant drug action (an antidepressant), one of the most popular in the world.
Pharmacological action of Prozac
The active ingredient in Prozac is fluoxetine product propylamine. Fluoxetine is a substance that blocks the reuptake of serotonin, known as the "happiness hormone", in the nerve cells of the central nervous system. The peculiarity of this chemical compound is that interfering with the serotonin metabolism, it has no effect on other related substances, namely acetylcholine, dopamine, histamine, noradrenaline and other, providing thus selective effect.
As a result, Prozac helps to reduce the level of anxiety, fear, reduces psycho-emotional stress, reduces the symptoms of depression, eliminating depressed mood, reduces stress. No adverse effects on the cardiovascular system.
Prozac is taken orally, sucking the blood from the digestive tract. Maximum concentration of active substance in the blood reaches 6-8 hours after ingestion. Distributed throughout the body, but acts selectively on the central nervous system neurons. Is cumulative (accumulated) by the action reaching a stable concentration in blood after 4 weeks of treatment, a therapeutic effect is observed after 1-2 weeks of continuous use. Splitting Prozac to metabolites in the liver, the metabolites excreted in the urine.
Attention! During lactation the drug passes into breast milk.
Structure and Composition
Prozac is available as a two-color capsules, one half of the capsule green, the other yellow, marked on each capsule.
One capsule contains 20 mg fluoxetine hydrochloride plus excipients (starch, dimethicone, and substances that comprise the capsule shell).
14 capsules in blister packs of 1 and 2 of the blister.
Analogs of Prozac with the same active ingredient in the composition: Depreks, Deprenon, Portal Portalak, Prodep, Profluzak, Flokset, Fluval, fluxons, fluoxetine hexane Lannaher Fluoxetine, Fluoxetine Nycomed, fluoxetine, Acre, Apo-Fluoxetine Fluoxetine, Canon, fluoxetine hydrochloride, Frameks, fluoxetine, Apo-Fluoxetine, Flunisan.
From the viewpoint of pharmacological action Prozac analogs also include other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, with another active agent in the composition: Zimeldin, citalopram, paroxetine, sertraline, alaproclate, fluvoxamine, Etoperidon, Escitalopram, Trazodone.
According to the instructions, Prozac is shown under the following conditions:
- Depression, regardless of severity;
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder;
- Schizophrenia, bipolar disorder (TIR), psychosis, obsessive-compulsive disorder and other mental;
- Eating disorders: anorexia, bulimia, food addiction;
- Alcoholism, in the complex therapy;
- Mood disorders premenstrual syndrome (PMS);
- There are reviews of Prozac by professionals proving its effectiveness in the treatment of persistent headaches of unknown etiology.
Instructions for use Prozac
Prozac capsules are taken orally, drinking plenty of water, regardless of mealtime.
In accordance with the instructions of Prozac in various diseases was adopted as follows:
- In the treatment of depression and psychiatric disorders starting dose is 20 mg 1 time a day, in the absence of clinical response every week, increase the dose to 20 mg per day, leading up to a maximum of 80mg. The daily dose should be divided into 2-3 receptions.
- In the treatment of bulimia daily dose is 60 mg per day, divided into 3 doses (20 mg for an appointment);
- In the treatment of obsessional neurosis instructions for Prozac administered in a dosage of 20 to 60 mg per day, depending on the severity of the condition;
- When treating dysphoria during PMS prescribed Prozac 20 mg of 1 times a day;
- Supportive therapy for the relief of acute symptoms of disease is 20 mg per day.
On average, Prozac treatment is 3-4 weeks.
Reviews of Prozac mark its good tolerability, however, it was reported the following adverse effects of its use:
- Nervous system - headache, sleep disturbance, seizures, dizziness, fatigue, hand tremors, ataxia, impairment of concentration, attention and memory, increased anxiety, increased manic component of MDS, the emergence of suicidal ideation, decreased libido;
- On the part of the gastrointestinal tract - decreased appetite, taste perversion, violations salivation, dysphagia, dyspepsia, weight loss;
- Immune system - allergic reactions, most often in the form of urticaria, vasculitis;
- Also, there were cases of liver function abnormalities, kidney, lung, sweating, blurred vision, serotonin syndrome.
With an overdose of Prozac manual describes the following symptoms: agitation, nausea, vomiting, cramps epileptopodobnye. In this case it is necessary to carry out gastric lavage and enterosorbents an appointment, with the appearance of seizures shows tranquilizers.
When concomitant administration of other medication you need to notify your doctor about the use of Prozac and unique as his influence changed the pharmacological effect of many of them.
One of the side effects of Prozac is getting used to it, and therefore, the appearance of withdrawal symptoms when you stop receiving. Therefore, drug overturned continuously for several days, gradually reducing the dosage.
According to the instructions, Prozac is contraindicated in:
- Hypersensitivity of the components of the drug;
- Chronic renal failure;
- Hepatic insufficiency decompensated;
- Suicidal mood, suicide attempts in history;
Great care requires the appointment of Prozac for patients with diabetes, kidney and liver failure in the compensation stage Parkinson's disease, epilepsy and seizures of various origins epileptopodobnyh a history of anorexia and asthenic physique.
Storage and release
Keep away from children, store out of reach of direct sunlight in a dry place at room temperature. Shelf life 3 years.
Prozac and analogues released strictly on prescription.