Propazin - antipsychotic.
Structure and Composition
The drug is available in three dosage forms: tablets, film-coated tablets, dragees and solution for intramuscular injection. Active component of the drug - promazine.
Propazin - antipsychotic, which is a derivative of phenothiazine. It has hypothermic, hypotensive, anti, antiemetic, sedative and m-anticholinergic action.
Antipsychotic effect propazin is due to blockade of dopamine D2-receptor in Mesocortical and mesolimbic system. As a result, a reduction in feelings of fear, stress, anxiety.
Sedation propazin adrenoceptor blockade caused by the reticular formation of the brain stem. Hypothermic effect occurs due to the blockade of dopamine receptors of the hypothalamus. Antiemetic effect is due to blockade of dopamine D2-receptor tiggernoy zone of the vomiting center. H1-gistaminoblokiruyuschy and alpha-adrenergic blocking effects are anti-allergic effect and decrease blood pressure.
According to the instructions Propazin shown at:
- psychosis, accompanied by psychomotor agitation.
According to the instructions Propazin has the following contraindications:
- severe cardiovascular disease (arterial hypotension, decompensated chronic heart failure);
- comatose states from any cause;
- pronounced inhibition of the central nervous system;
- brain injury, spinal disease, and brain;
- hypersensitivity to promazine;
- Children up to age 12 years;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding (lactation).
Be wary appoint Propazin according to the instructions at:
- alcoholism (gepatoksicheskie possible responses);
- breast cancer (due to phenothiazine-induced prolactin increases the potential risk of disease progression);
- blood dyscrasias;
- ulcer 12 duodenal ulcer and stomach;
- angle-closure glaucoma;
- kidney or liver failure;
- prostatic hyperplasia with clinical manifestations;
- Parkinson's disease;
- chronic diseases involving respiratory failure;
- diseases associated with an increased risk of thromboembolic complications;
- Reye's syndrome;
- vomiting, cachexia.
It is also prescribed with caution Propazin instructions on elderly patients.
In the opinion of Propazin may cause the following side effects from the systems of life:
- catalepsy, extrapyramidal disorder, headache, decreased motivation, dizziness;
- priapism, atony of the bladder;
- diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, intestinal, cholestatic hepatitis;
- anemia, agranulocytosis;
- collapse, drop in blood pressure;
- galactorrhea, amenorrhea;
- skin pigmentation, photosensitivity.
Dosing and dosing regimen propazin
According to the instructions Propazin taken orally after a meal. As a rule, the dosage is 25-50 mg two to four times per day. Gradually increase the dose of 400-600 mg per day. The maximum dosage is 1000 mg knocking.
Intramuscular injections for children over 12 and adults 10-25 mg every 4-6 hours. The maximum dose - 1000 mg per day.
Elderly people, weak and malnourished patients usually require a smaller initial dose which is gradually increased.
During treatment propazin forbidden to drive and operate potentially dangerous machinery, because the drug affects the reaction rate and reduces the concentration.
Drug interaction propazin
Propazin increases the effects of sleeping pills and anti-epileptic drugs, narcotic analgesics, general anesthetics, anxiolytics, ethanol.
The drug reduces the effects of anorectics drugs. Simultaneous treatment with apomorphine causes a weakening of its emetic effect and increased inhibitory action on the central nervous system.
Precautions should combine drug Propazin with thiazide diuretics, maprotiline, tricyclic antidepressants, MAO inhibitors, beta-blockers, sympathomimetics, amantadine, amitriptyline, antihistamines.