Prazosin - hypertensive medication used for the treatment of hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases.
The pharmacological action of prazosin
The active substance of prazosin expands peripheral veins and reduces preload on the heart, which provides a hypotensive effect. In chronic heart failure Prazosin Review improves intracardiac and systemic hemodynamics.
After receiving a single dose peak hypotensive effect develops after 1-4 hours, the duration has an effect - up to 10 hours.
Prazosin produced in the form of tablets containing 1, 2, and 5 mg of active substance of the same name. 30, 50 or 100 pieces per pack.
By prazosin analogues mechanism of action include drugs doxazosin Zokson, Cardura, Prorokon, Setegis, terazosin, Teva, Tonokardin, Doksaprostan, Urokard.
Indications for use of prazosin
According to the instructions Prazosin is indicated for:
- Syndrome and Raynaud's disease;
- Peripheral vascular spasm in poisoning ergot alkaloids;
- Chronic heart failure, usually in combination therapy;
- Prostatic hyperplasia.
Prazosin contraindicated apply at:
- Hypersensitivity to the drug;
- Structurally, pericarditis;
- Heart defects;
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Cardiac tamponade;
The instructions for Pediatrics Prazosin may be used age 12.
Instructions prazosin: methods of use
To begin treatment of hypertension prazosin recommended 0, 5-1 mg 2-3 times a day. Gradually increase the dose until the optimal, which provides a hypotensive effect. Depending on the severity of symptoms, maintenance dose can vary from 3 to 20 mg per day. The optimal mode of treatment and the interval between doses of prazosin set individually. When the therapy should be considered that stable hypotensive effect develops gradually over months.
During the monotherapy known cases of early, 3-5 days of treatment or after a few months of use, tolerance. In these cases it is recommended to increase the single dose of 1 mg prazosin or start diuretics. Diuretic drugs are also shown in the slowly developing or poorly marked hypotensive effect. At this dose of prazosin should be reduced to 3-6 mg per day, divided into 3 doses, then it is necessary to pick up again the optimum dosage.
In chronic heart failure Prazosin according to the instructions received on the general scheme of treatment, normal precautions, such as:
- The first dose should not be more than 0 and 5 mg;
- Upon receipt must be in the "lying" for at least 2 hours;
- It is not recommended to increase sharply received daily doses;
- It should consider the possibility of orthostatic effects.
When Raynaud's syndrome average therapeutic dose is 1-2 mg of prazosin with the multiplicity of reception - twice a day. Do not take more than 6 mg per day.
In hypertrophy of the prostate during the symptomatic treatment of disorders dizuricheskih Prazosin according to the instructions received on the scheme:
- The first week - at 0, 5 mg;
- Second week - 1 mg;
- From the third to the sixth week - 2 mg.
Multiplicity of reception - twice a day, morning and evening.
When poisoning with ergot alkaloids to eliminate spasm of peripheral arteries it is recommended to take three times a day for 1 mg of prazosin.
Disorders of the nervous system while taking prazosin for instructions often appear as:
- Disturbances of perception;
- Emotional disorders.
Furthermore, when the therapy can develop prazosin and other side effects:
- Frequent urination;
- Blurred vision, blackouts, tinnitus, flushing of the cornea and conjunctiva;
- Palpitations, angina pain, shortness of breath, tachycardia, peripheral edema;
- Epistaxis, nasal congestion;
- Skin rash, itching;
- Nausea, dry mucous membranes of the mouth, diarrhea, vomiting and constipation;
- Excessive decrease in blood pressure;
- Weakness, fainting, orthostatic collapse, headaches and heart - as a manifestation of the phenomenon of "first dose";
- Arthralgia, pyrexia, alopecia, rash, priapism, the appearance of antinuclear factors, reduced potency.
With prolonged use of prazosin may be swelling of the lower extremities.
In case of overdose of prazosin instructions can develop a pronounced reduction in blood pressure. In this case, it is recommended to take a horizontal position with raised legs. The risk of excessive reduction of blood pressure increases while taking prazosin with diuretics, nifedipine, beta-blockers and sympatholytic.
Prazosin refers to a number of antihypertensive drugs without prescription with a shelf life of 36 months.