Papaverine - a combined antihypertensive and antispasmodic drug with analgesic effect.
The active substance Papaverina has antihypertensive, analgesic and anticonvulsant effect.
Use of papaverine reduces the tone of smooth muscles of internal organs of the urinary, respiratory, reproductive system and blood vessels, arteries expand and increase blood flow.
In addition, according to the instructions Papaverine hypotensive effect. In high doses, the active ingredient of the drug has a sedative effect, slows intracardiac conductivity and reduces the excitability of cardiac muscle. In the medium therapeutic doses, the drug on the central nervous system has a weakly expressed effect.
Safety and effectiveness of Papaverina during pregnancy and lactation has not been studied.
Papaverine is available in several dosage forms:
- A solution for injection (shot) in 2 ml ampoules containing 20 mg of active substance;
- Rectal suppositories each containing 20 mg of active substance;
- Tablets containing 40 mg of active substance;
- Tablets for children containing 10 mg of active substance.
According to the instructions papaverine used for spasms of smooth muscle:
- Peripheral vascular disease - endarteriite;
- Bronchi - with bronchospasm;
- Vessels of the brain;
- Abdominal organs - with renal colic, pilorospazme, cholecystitis, spastic colitis;
- Heart - angina;
As an adjunct use of papaverine demonstrated for sedation.
Contraindications to the use of papaverine
According to the instructions papaverine contraindicated to use in the elderly, children under 6 months, as well as:
- Severe hepatic insufficiency;
- Hypersensitivity to the Papaverina.
According to the testimony papaverine used with caution:
- In chronic renal failure;
- In hypothyroidism;
- If supraventricular tachycardia;
- After a traumatic brain injury;
- When adrenal insufficiency;
- A state of shock;
- When prostatic hyperplasia.
Use of papaverine at pregnancy is possible only on prescription.
During treatment of papaverine to exclude alcohol.
By indications Papaverine as tablets taken orally up to four times per day. Adult single dose of 40-60 mg. Single dose for children depends on age:
- From 6 months to 2 years - 5 mg;
- 3-4 years - from 5 to 10 mg;
- 5-6 years - 10 mg;
- 7-9 years - from 10 to 15 mg;
- 10-14 - from 15 to 20 mg.
Injection is administered subcutaneously and intramuscularly to 4 times a day, 1-2 ml. Intravenous administration can only slowly and under medical supervision, with 20 mg Papaverine previously diluted in 10-20 ml of 0 9% solution of NaCl.
Use of papaverine in the form of suppositories, it is permissible only to adults, 20-40 mg up to three times per day.
The dosage and duration of use of papaverine in pregnancy is determined individually by your doctor.
With an overdose of papaverine under the instruction may cause drowsiness, low blood pressure, weakness, and diplopia.
Perhaps increased anticholinergic effects, while use of papaverine with anticholinergics.
Description of side effects Papaverina
According to the description of papaverine and reviews, when use of the drug may develop:
- Allergic reactions;
- Ventricular arrhythmia;
- Excessive sweating;
- Increase in liver transaminases;
According to the instructions at Papaverine rapid intravenous or when used in high doses can lead to the development of cardiac arrhythmias.
Papaverine belongs to antispasmodic drugs prescription. Shelf life of tablets - 5 years, solution for injection - 24 months.