Ofloxacin - antibacterial agent of the fluoroquinolone group.
Structure and Composition
Ofloxacin is provided in the form of round, biconvex tablets, film-coated, nearly white, containing active substance - ofloxacin 200 or 400 mg. Auxiliary components: colloidal silicon dioxide, povidone, microcrystalline cellulose, calcium stearate, corn starch. 10 pieces per pack.
The drug has a broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity, it refers to the group of quinolones.
Use of ofloxacin has an effect on the DNA gyrase supercoiling, and is responsible for the stability of the DNA of bacteria. It has bactericidal activity.
Ofloxacin is active against rapidly growing atypical bacteria and microorganisms that produce β-lactamase.
Ofloxacin - indications for use
According to the instructions to the testimony of ofloxacin following:
- infections of the skin and soft tissues;
- diseases of the biliary tract and abdominal infectious-inflammatory (including gastrointestinal infections);
- urinary tract infections (urethritis, cystitis);
- kidney infection (pyelonephritis);
- respiratory disease infectious-inflammatory (pneumonia, bronchitis);
- infection of upper respiratory tract (laryngitis, otitis media, pharyngitis, sinusitis);
- diseases of the joints and bones of infectious-inflammatory;
- infectious diseases of the pelvic organs (prostatitis, cervicitis, salpingitis, Options, oophoritis, endometritis);
- genital diseases infectious-inflammatory (epididymitis, orchitis, colpitis).
The indication for ofloxacin are gonorrhea, chlamydia, meningitis.
It is also an indication for ofloxacin is to prevent infections in patients with impaired immune status, including neutropenia.
Dosing and dosing regimen of ofloxacin
Dosage instructions for ofloxacin selected individually depending on the severity and location of the infection, the sensitivity of the microorganisms, and the condition of the patient, renal function and liver.
Adults usually administered 200 to 800 mg per day, divided into two steps. Duration of treatment an average of 7-10 days.
In acute gonorrhea ofloxacin dosage instructions on the 400 mg dose.
In peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis drug taking 100 mg once a day.
Patients with impaired renal function job dosage is half the average dose twice a day or the full dose once a day.
In hepatic insufficiency the maximum dosage of ofloxacin according to the instructions of 400 mg per day.
Children with severe infections is prescribed an average daily dose - 7, 5 mg / kg. Maximal dosage for children is 15 mg / kg.
The tablets are completely during and immediately before the meal.
The duration of therapy for salmonellosis is 7-8 days in uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections - from 3 to 5 days.
After the disappearance of symptoms should continue to apply for ofloxacin instructions even three days.
Ofloxacin - contra
Use of ofloxacin is contraindicated:
- with a shortage of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase;
- while reducing the seizure threshold (in traumatic brain injury, inflammatory processes in the CNS, stroke);
- during pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- up to 18 years due to the fact that the skeletal growth has not completed;
- in case of hypersensitivity to the drug.
Be wary appoint Ofloxacin according to the instructions at:
- organic lesions of the CNS;
- cerebrovascular disorders;
- chronic renal failure;
- cerebral atherosclerosis.
Side effects ofloxacin
In the opinion of Ofloxacin causes the following side effects:
- Musculoskeletal system: arthralgia, tendonitis, tenosynovitis, myalgia, tendon rupture.
- Central nervous system: tremor, dizziness, headache, numbness, convulsions, lack of movement, anxiety, phobias, anxiety, hallucinations, nightmares, intense dreams, confusion, increased intracranial pressure, diplopia, impaired color vision, smell, hearing and taste .
- Digestive System: flatulence, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, hyperbilirubinemia, pseudomembranous enterocolitis, cholestatic jaundice, elevated liver transaminases.
- Cardiovascular system: collapse, vasculitis, and tachycardia.
- Urinary system: elevated levels of urea, acute interstitial nephritis, hypercreatininemia, impaired renal function.
- The system hematopoiesis: pancytopenia, leukopenia, anemia, thrombocytopenia, aplastic and hemolytic anemia, agranulocytosis.
- Skin: maculopapular rash, hemorrhagic bullous dermatitis, patehii.
Also, reviews Ofloxacin causes the following allergic reactions: urticaria, pruritus, rash, allergic nephritis, pneumonitis, fever, bronchospasm, angioedema, eosinophilia, erythema multiforme, Lyell syndrome, photosensitivity, Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
It is extremely rare for reviews Ofloxacin causes anaphylactic shock.
There were reviews of ofloxacin diabetic patients the occurrence of hypoglycemia.
The indication for ofloxacin is not a pneumonia caused by pneumococcus. It is also an indication for ofloxacin is not acute tonsillitis.
Do not drink alcohol during treatment with ofloxacin.
During the application of ofloxacin women should not use tampons because of the risk of vaginal candidiasis.
Patients with impaired liver or kidney function is recommended to control the level of ofloxacin in plasma. In the case of severe renal insufficiency increases the likelihood of toxic effects that require dose adjustment.
Overdose symptoms ofloxacin on reviews from the following: confusion, vomiting, disorientation, dizziness, drowsiness.
In case of overdose should be done and gastric lavage spend symptomatic therapy.
Ofloxacin belongs to the drugs List B prescription. Subject to the conditions of storage the expiry date is 24 months.