Metoclopramide - medicine, has antiemetic effect.
Metoclopramide has instructions for antiemetic effect and stimulates peristalsis of the gastrointestinal tract and removes hiccups and nausea.
The drug acts quickly. The onset of action after intravenous administration indicated after a few minutes, after intramuscular administration - cherez10-15 minutes. Typically, anti-emetic effect lasts up to 12 hours.
Metoclopramide is produced in the form of tablets containing 10 mg of active ingredient, and a solution for intravenous and intramuscular injections of 10 mg in ampoules.
Also, in the form of tablets of metoclopramide in the same dosage produced under different names - metoclopramide-Acre, metoclopramide-FPO, Perinorm, Vero metoclopramide Tserulan and others.
Indications for use of metoclopramide
Metoclopramide is indicated for use in:
- Vomiting, hiccups or nausea of various origins;
- Biliary dyskinesia;
- Aton and hypotension stomach and intestines, including post-operative;
- Acute gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer in the complex therapy;
- Reflux esophagitis.
Metoclopramide is also shown during studies radiopaque digestive tract.
Metoclopramide is contraindicated according to the instructions to apply at:
- Bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract;
- The simultaneous use of anticholinergic drugs;
- Extrapyramidal disorders;
- Mechanical bowel obstruction;
- Prolaktinozavisimyh tumors;
- Hypersensitivity to metoclopramide.
Pregnancy and lactation is a contraindication to the use of metoclopramide.
Metoclopramide is used with caution in:
- Abnormal liver function or kidney;
- Bronchial asthma;
- Parkinson's disease;
Metoclopramide children prescribed with caution, especially at an early age due to the risk of dyskinetic syndrome.
Instructions for use of metoclopramide
Metoclopramide tablets used 3-4 times a day for 5-10 mg, maximum - 20 mg. In severe nausea and vomiting drug is administered intravenously or intramuscularly, usually in a dose of 10 mg.
It is also possible to apply metoclopramide intranasally into each nostril burying 10-20 mg once a day.
The maximum for any dosage form of metoclopramide use up to 60 mg.
The dose of metoclopramide children depends on age. The daily dose for children up to 6 years of metoclopramide tablets is 0, 5-1 mg per 1 kg of body weight. The drug is taken up to 3 times a day. Metoclopramide children over 6 years to designate up to three times a day for 5 mg.
Metoclopramide is also indicated for emesis induced by administration of cytotoxic drugs.
It is undesirable to use metoclopramide simultaneously:
- With anticholinergics due to a possible weakening of the mutual effects;
- With neuroleptics, especially derivatives of butyrophenone and phenothiazine series, due to the increased risk of extrapyramidal reactions;
- Since fluoxetine and fluvoxamine because of the risk of extrapyramidal disorders;
- With slowly dissolving dosage form of digoxin.
Also caution should be used with metoclopramide zopiclone, mexiletine, cabergoline, mefloquine, ketoprofen, nitrofurantoin, morphine, tolterodine due to changes in the expected therapeutic effect.
When applied according to the instructions of metoclopramide may arise:
- Constipation or diarrhea, usually at the beginning of treatment, and rarely - dry mouth;
- Drowsiness, dizziness, fatigue, depression, headache, akathisia, usually appear at the beginning of treatment. Children Metoclopramide may cause extrapyramidal symptoms, manifesting as spasmodic torticollis, a spasm of facial muscles and hyperkinesis. In elderly people with long-term use may phenomenon dyskinesia and parkinsonism;
- Agranulocytosis, usually occurs at the beginning of treatment;
- Gynecomastia, galactorrhea, menstrual disorders, and skin rash, are rare, long-term use at high doses.
During treatment of metoclopramide advised to avoid potentially hazardous activities that require increased attention and rapid psychomotor reactions.
The drug is released under doctor's prescription. Shelf life of metoclopramide - up to 4 years.