Merten - synthetic drug is used as an adjunct to dietary therapy to reduce cholesterol in the treatment of hypercholesterolemia and combined dyslipidemic conditions.
Pharmacological action Merten
Active ingredient Merten (rosuvastatin calcium) reduces the level of both total cholesterol and low density lipoprotein cholesterol. As a selective and competitive inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase (enzyme - the precursor of cholesterol), rosuvastatin affects the liver, where the cholesterol synthesis and catabolism of LDL.
The effect of Merten observed after a week since the beginning of the medication and therapy reaches its peak after a month of use.
Form release Merten
Merten produced in the form of round biconvex tablets with the inscription "C33", containing 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg and 40 mg of the active ingredient (rosuvastatin calcium).
10 tablets in contour of cellular packages.
By analogues are medicines Merten: ACORT, Crestor, Rozulip, Tevastor, Rosuvastatin, Roxer and Rozukard. Analogues Merten mechanism of action are tablets Avestatin, lipon, Zorstat, Tulip, Lipitor, Anvistat, Simla, Lovastatin, Simvastol, Lescol, Simplakor, Atomaks, Zocor, Torvakard, Zovatin, Aktalipid, Cardiostatin, Lipoford, Vazator, Simvakard, simvastatin and Holvasim .
Merten according to the instructions prescribed as an adjunct to diet therapy in the treatment of:
- Hypercholesterolemia and combined dyslipidemic conditions when non-drug methods are not sufficiently effective (eg, weight loss, exercise);
- Hypertriglyceridemia fourth type of Fredrickson;
- Family homozygous hypercholesterolemia.
Moreover, Merten take to slow the progression of atherosclerosis in the primary prevention of cardiovascular events such as stroke, heart attack and arterial revascularization in the absence of clinical signs of coronary heart disease in older people (men 50 years and women 60 years).
Merten is contraindicated apply:
- Pregnant and lactating women as well as women of childbearing age who do not use a reliable means of contraception;
- Amid miotoksicheskih predisposition to complications;
- If myopathy;
- Along with cyclosporine and fibrates;
- Against the background of liver failure;
- Against the background of hypersensitivity to the components (active or auxiliary) medication, as well as lactose intolerance and lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption;
- When severe renal impairment;
- In pediatrics to 18 years.
Also, according to instructions, Merten in tablets of 40 mg is contraindicated to take on the background:
- Liver disease occurring in the active phase;
- Excessive use of alcohol;
- Personal or family history of muscle diseases.
People Asian race also should not take this dose pills.
Be wary of the instructions prescribed Merten:
- Against the backdrop of severe metabolic disorders, endocrine or electrolyte nature;
- Against the background of the risk of myopathy;
- When uncontrolled epilepsy;
- Against the backdrop of a history of liver disease;
- In case of accident;
- People older than 65 years;
- Against the background of arterial hypotension;
- Against the background of sepsis;
- In any extensive surgical procedures.
Merten of instructions can be taken at any time of the day, but during the treatment period should be observed prescription diet that includes foods low in cholesterol.
Merten Doses are selected individually depending on the purpose of the therapy. The initial dose is typically less than 5-10 mg once daily. Its correction is recommended not earlier than one month after the start of treatment.
Applications Merten at a dosage of 40 mg is only possible under the close supervision of a physician, as the medication with concurrent kidney disease can trigger the development of proteinuria (mostly tubular origin).
Elderly adjustment of the daily dose is usually not required. For people of Asian descent, and amid predisposition to myopathy Merten initial dose should not be more than 5 mg, and the use of the medicament in a dose of 40 mg is contraindicated.
Joint reception Merten with the means of lowering lipid levels (eg, gemfibrozil) leads to increased concentrations of rosuvastatin in the blood.
Fenofibrate, gemfibrozil and niacin, while the use Mertenilom increase the risk of myopathy, so such a combination of medications are not recommended. Nor should appoint a Merten with protease inhibitors in HIV.
Antacid suspension (magnesium hydroxide and aluminum) and erythromycin, help to reduce the concentration of active ingredient in the blood plasma Merten, so care should be an interval between administration of these medications for at least two hours.
Side effects Merten
Typically, during the reception Merten, reviews, there may be short-term and moderately significant side effects. When using Merten tablets 5-20 mg is most frequently observed development of type 2 diabetes, nausea, asthenia, dizziness, abdominal pain, headache, constipation and myalgia. Several less during therapy Mertenilom, reviews, there are rash, hypersensitivity reactions, pruritus, pancreatitis, myopathy, rhabdomyolysis, and urticaria.
The frequency and severity of violations of the liver and kidneys is dose-dependent. According to reviews, Merten with a daily intake in the dose of 40 mg may lead to:
- Proteinuria (mostly - tubular origin);
- Increasing the concentration of glucose and bilirubin;
- Violation of indicators of thyroid function.
Very rarely during treatment with Merten on the instructions are observed:
- Peripheral edema;
- memory loss;
- Shortness of breath;
In case of muscle weakness, or sudden sharp pain in the muscles, which are accompanied by malaise and fever, should seek medical advice immediately and to cancel the application or review Merten received a dose of the drug.
Merten is one of lipid-lowering prescription medication with a shelf life of up to 24 months subject to the standard conditions of storage (at temperatures up to 30 degrees Celsius).