Merkazolil (international nonproprietary name - tiamazol) - tableted medicinal product related to thyroid hormone antagonists. Antithyroid properties of the drug demand in medicine for the treatment of diseases associated with hyperactivity "thyroid".
Merkazolil issued in the form of tablets of 40, 50 and 100 pieces in consumer packaging. Content tiamazol one tablet of 5 mg.
Under the trade name "Merkazolil" drug made by three factories: domestic CPC "Akrikhin" and JSC "Marbiopharm" and Ukrainian pharmaceutical company "Health". By the way, filling the drug for 40 tablets in a package is present in the product line only Ukrainian producer.
Merkazolil does not apply to drugs everyday. This explains the relative paucity range Mercazolilum analogues on the Russian pharmaceutical market. Already in a very specific niche is the drug: this is not an antipyretic or anti-allergic agent, which are in the home medicine cabinet in almost every family. More specifically, in the Russian pharmacies can be found just two analog Mercazolilum:
- Tirozol (Germany). By the way, the manufacturer has mastered release tiamazol 10 mg;
- Tiamazol-Filofarm (Germany).
Merkazolil inhibits the synthesis of hormones secreted by the thyroid: triiodothyronine (referred to in the medical literature as T3) and thyroxine (T4). This inhibitory effect of the drug is associated with the suppression of peroxidase activity - an enzyme that affects the saturation of iodine thyronine (that is, in other words, the synthesis of thyroxine and triiodothyronine). As a consequence of the above process, in the human body decreases the metabolic rate, the loss of iodine activates the thyroid gland. Against this background, increased secretion of pituitary thyroid stimulating hormone, which, in the opinion of the Mercazolilum and analogues, results in an increase of the thyroid gland.
The drug is well absorbed in the intestine and then accumulates in the tissues of the thyroid gland. The action of the drug is maintained for 24 hours. Two days later the drug is completely excreted in the urine. It should be noted that the traces are found in breast milk (the application Mercazolilum lactation cm. Below).
According to the instructions to Mercazolilum and reviews about it, the drug can be successfully applied in the following diseases and pathological conditions:
- hyperthyroidism (an alternative name - toxic diffuse goiter, Graves' disease). The disease is associated with hyperactivity of the thyroid gland, resulting in toxicosis develops due to an excess of thyroid hormones. This condition is accompanied by hypertrophic changes in the prostate;
- in the framework of preparations prior to surgery in thyrotoxicosis;
- in preparation for radioiodine therapy, and then - in a latent period (4-6 months), while iodine is not started to operate;
- in the treatment of thyrotoxicosis prevention iodine, including iodine radiocontrast agent;
- toxic thyroid adenoma (alternative name - Plummer's disease). The pathogenesis of the disease is similar to hyperthyroidism, however, the etiology is somewhat different. Excessive production of thyroid hormones, in this case, is a consequence of benign thyroid enlargement (not vice versa);
- thyrotoxic crisis (life-threatening complication of hyperthyroidism).
Instruction for use Mercazolilum
According to the instructions, Merkazolil taken after meals. Chewable tablets are not recommended, it is better to wash down with sufficient amount of liquid ingested. The daily dose is usually divided into 3 doses. The dose, frequency of dosing and duration of treatment depends on the diagnosis and goals of antithyroid drug therapy. With mild thyrotoxicosis Merkazolil administered in an amount of 3-eh tablets a day, with an average thyrotoxicosis - 4-6 tablets in severe - 8. Marker reduce the dose of the thyroid gland is returned to its normal size and productivity, then the patient is transferred to a maintenance therapy comprises administering 0, 5 - 2 tablets a day for one or two doses.
Reviews Mercazolilum summarized pharmacologists at the stage of clinical trials, gave grounds for inclusion in the instructions in the Mercazolilum following contraindications:
- idiosyncrasy of the drug;
- breastfeeding (medication passes into breast milk);
- reduced number of leukocytes, granulocytes, neutrophils.
However, there are indications on which Merkazolil take is possible, but with great caution:
- in the presence of a very large goiter before surgery;
- liver disease;
- together with cardiac glycosides (digoxin, strophanthin), anticoagulants and aminophylline;
Side effects Mercazolilum largely dose-dependent, so they are observed in the first 1-2 months of treatment (the period of active drug saturation, when large doses). Most often it says:
- reduction in the number of white blood cells - leukopenia;
- allergic reactions (rash, pruritus);
- Temporary slight rise in temperature (max - 38 ° C);
- painful joints;
- hair loss;
- weakness, headache, nausea.
There is likely more severe consequences of treatment (there are reviews of Mercazolilum), but this happens very rarely. As an example, aplastic anemia, nephrotic syndrome and lupus, cholestatic hepatitis.
Mercazolilum not tend to cause intoxication in overdose. The most common symptoms of chronic abuse it, which are as resistant hypothyroidism and thyroid hypertrophy. This condition is docked abolition of the drug, and sometimes - the appointment of levothyroxine to create hormonal balance.
Instruction Mercazolilum offers a list of symptoms to the patient, in the event that should be immediately refuse to receive the drug and inform your doctor. This is important information for consumers, which would be appropriate to share in this article. So, here are the features:
- fever, accompanied by sore throat, fever and local pustules;
- bleeding or subcutaneous hematoma of unknown etiology;
- total skin rash and itching;
- persistent nausea and vomiting;
- icteric coloring of skin and sclera;
- severe abdominal pain;
- a state of complete prostration.
Admission Mercazolilum provides regular blood tests (before treatment, during treatment and during maintenance therapy).
Implementation Mercazolilum and analogs of pharmacies available only by prescription.
Instructions for storage Mercazolilum
Merkazolil can be stored at ambient (15-25 ° C) temperature. Shelf life is 5 years.