Konvuleks - synthetic drug used to treat epilepsy of various etiology and behavioral disorders caused by the disease.
The active substance Konvuleksa - valproic acid, has antiepileptic, sedative and muscle relaxant central action.
Konvuleks instructions for reducing anxiety and convulsive motor zones of the brain, improves mental state and mood, but also has anti-arrhythmic activity.
Konvuleks available in several dosage forms:
- Soft pink, enteric coated capsules, 150, 300 and 500 mg of the markings on them contained dose;
- Film-coated tablets oval depot, 300 and 500 mg. 50 and 100 pieces in bottles;
- Drops for oral use, containing in 1 ml 300 mg of active substance. In flakonah- 100 ml;
- A solution for intravenous administration containing 100 ml of 1 ml of active substance. In 5 ml ampoules;
- Syrup for children, containing 1 ml of 50 mg of active substance. The bottle with the measuring syringe 100 ml.
According to the instructions Konvuleks indicated for:
- Epilepsy of various etiology - cryptogenic, and symptomatic idiopathic;
- Generalized seizures in adults and children - atonic, clonic, tonic-clonic, tonic, myoclonic;
- Children tick;
- Behavioral disturbances associated with epilepsy;
- Partial seizures;
- Specific Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, and West;
- Febrile seizures in children.
In addition, Konvuleks Review is effective in the treatment and prevention of bipolar affective disorder.
Konvuleks contraindicated for instructions apply when:
- Hepatic Insufficiency;
- Violation of the functions of the pancreas;
- Acute and chronic hepatitis;
- Severe thrombocytopenia;
- Hemorrhagic diathesis;
- Sharing violation urea;
- Hypersensitivity to valproic acid and its salts, or any other components Konvuleksa.
Starting treatment Konvuleksom in the first trimester of pregnancy is not recommended. In the case of the drug during pregnancy should not interrupt the treatment, to avoid the risk of increased frequency of seizures. Do not take Konvuleks simultaneously with mefloquine, lamotrigine, St. John's wort, and the age of three years.
Konvuleks according to the instructions prescribed with caution in:
- Suppression of bone marrow hematopoiesis - thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, anemia;
- Congenital enzymopathies;
- Renal insufficiency;
- Organic brain disease;
- Pregnancy, especially during the first trimester;
- Mental retardation in children.
According to the instructions Konvuleks capsules, tablets or as drops for oral take up to three times a day, during or immediately after eating.
The initial daily dose for adults is 600 mg. Recommended dose is gradually increased until the disappearance of seizures every 3 days to 200-250 mg.
The recommended daily dose in monotherapy - 1-2 g, maximum - 2, 5 g
In combination therapy, the dose usually is 10-30 mg per 1 kg of body weight per day, which was later increased to 5-10 mg / kg per week.
The solution for injection is administered slowly Konvuleks intravenous or infusion. When administered intravenously, the recommended daily dose is 5-10 mg per 1 kg of body weight. In the transition from oral to intravenous dose should not be changed, and the first intravenous administration is recommended no later than 12 hours after the last intake.
Konvuleks children are encouraged to take as a syrup. The initial dose for children weighing more than 25 kg is 300 mg per day. Gradually increase the dose until the optimal, which ensures the disappearance of seizures.
In a dramatic admission Konvuleksa seizures may become more frequent.
With extreme caution should be taken Konvuleks simultaneously with carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, clonazepam, ethosuximide, topiramate, felbamate, cimetidine, erythromycin, zidovudine, and with neuroleptics, MAO inhibitors, antidepressants and benzodiazepines.
Side effects Konvuleksa
In the opinion of Konvuleks in most cases well tolerated. Unwanted side effects occur most frequently in the combination therapy and appear as:
- Nausea, gastralgia, vomiting, decreased or increased appetite, hepatitis, diarrhea, constipation and pancreatitis, which can progress to severe injuries with fatal consequences. Simultaneous treatment with antispasmodics and envelop funds reduces the risk of diarrheal illness;
- Hair loss, peripheral edema;
- Anemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia;
- Increased breast, dysmenorrhea, galactorrhea, secondary amenorrhea;
- Enuresis, tremor, impaired consciousness, nystagmus, diplopia, drowsiness, ataxia, dizziness, dysarthria, headache, stupor, encephalopathy, coma;
- Decrease or increase in body weight;
- Angioedema, photosensitivity, skin rash, urticaria.
In some cases, admission Konvuleksa on responses can be observed changes in mood, behavior or mental state, which can be expressed as:
- Restlessness, aggression or irritability;
- Feeling tired;
- Hyperactive state;
- Unusual excitement.
In the case of acute severe side effects when taking Konvuleksa should be discussed with your doctor about the continuation or discontinuation of therapy.
In overdose Konvuleksom according to the instructions usually develop nausea, impaired respiratory function, vomiting, muscular hypotonia, dizziness, cramps, diarrhea, hyporeflexia, coma.
Konvuleks released only by prescription. Shelf life of the preparation in any dosage forms - 5 years.