Hydrocortisone - a hormone drug steroid nature, which is produced by the adrenal cortex and is involved in carbohydrate and protein metabolism.
Pharmacological group - steroids.
The drug is available in the following forms:
- Hydrocortisone eye ointment;
- Hydrocortisone eye drops;
- Hydrocortisone suspension for intramuscular and intra-articular injections;
- powder for injection;
- Hydrocortisone tablets;
- Hydrocortisone cream;
Hydrocortisone drug - a synthetic glucocorticosteroid agent for systemic and local use, with a pronounced anti-inflammatory fast, antiexudativ (decongestant), antisense (anti-allergic), immunosuppressive, antishock and antitoxic action.
Hydrocortisone through a certain chain of reactions inhibits the release of inflammatory mediators. The immunosuppressive effect of the drug due to inhibition of immune system reactions.
For topical use Hydrocortisone Hydrocortisone Ointment when uninfected skin surface surfaces.
For topical use eye drops and eye ointment hydrocortisone in inflammatory processes in the anterior chamber of the eye without damaging the cornea:
- allergic conjunctivitis etc.
Periarticular or intraarticular (Hydrocortisone Acetate in suspension):
- post-traumatic osteoarthritis;
- carpal tunnel syndrome;
- nonspecific tenosynovitis;
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- subacute and acute bursitis;
- reactive synovitis.
Intradermal injection (hydrocortisone acetate suspension):
- drug reaction;
- lupus erythematosus;
- atopic dermatitis (atopic dermatitis);
- granuloma annulare;
- lichen planus and others.
Systemic therapy (inside, in / m / w) hydrocortisone suspension, tablets, powder for injection:
- endocrine disorders - hypercalcemia, as a consequence of tumor process
- purulent thyroiditis (thyrotoxic crisis), adrenal hyperplasia (congenital), adrenal insufficiency;
- acute conditions Allergic reactions;
- urgent conditions;
- skin diseases;
- respiratory diseases such as pneumonitis respiratsionny (c-m. Mendelsohn) and others.
- hematologic disorders: aplastic anemia (congenital), erythroblastopenia, secondary thrombocytopenia, autoimmune anemia;
- gastrointestinal diseases: b. Crown (in the complex therapy);
- tuberculous meningitis (in combination with anti-tuberculosis chemotherapy);
- trichinosis with myocardial damage or nervous system;
- multiple sclerosis;
- chlorine poisoning, organophosphorus compounds, vitamin D, quinine, acids, bites of snakes, spiders and insects.
Contraindications to the use of hydrocortisone
For external and topical use Hydrocortisone:
- Children under 2 years
- individual hypersensitivity to the drug;
- a brief period after vaccination;
- in violation of the integrity of the cover skin (sores, cracks, wounds) and ocular epithelium;
- viral, fungal and bacterial diseases of the eye and the skin;
- Dermatitis around the mouth;
- acne vulgaris acne vulgaris;
- localization of facial rosacea;
Precautions recognize cases: pregnancy (I trimester) and lactation, systemic failure of tuberculosis, diabetes.
In systemic therapy of hydrocortisone requires caution:
- severe hypertension;
- Cushing's syndrome;
- peptic ulcers;
- the postoperative period;
- fungal infections;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- acute endocarditis;
- renal insufficiency;
- propensity to thromboembolism;
- cold sores;
- previous arthroplasty;
- AIDS, HIV infection;
- myasthenia gravis;
- individual hypersensitivity to the drug.
According to the instructions for the application of hydrocortisone Hydrocortisone may receive some unwanted side effects.
When applied topically, can develop allergies, burning, inektsirovanie sclera vessels; In the case of prolonged use Gidrokorizona drops or eye ointment Gidrokorizon may develop subcapsular cataracts, glaucoma and exophthalmos;
For external use can occur allergic skin reaction.
Local and general systemic side effects occur in the event of prolonged use of hydrocortisone on very large surfaces or in areas of damaged skin, as well as when using Hydrocortisone cream under occlusive dressings.
When using hydrocortisone for systemic therapy, the following side effects:
From endocrine system:
- decrease carbohydrate tolerance;
- hyperglycemia until diabetes;
- need to increase the dose of insulin or other hypoglycemic agents in diabetics;
- stunted growth in children;
- Cushing's syndrome;
- pituitary-adrenal insufficiency;
- hormonal obesity;
- atrophy of the adrenal cow - in the case of prolonged use of hydrocortisone
From the musculoskeletal system:
- osteoporosis with pathological fractures, vertebral compression fractures;
- aseptic necrosis of the humeral head and femur;
- steroid myopathy;
From the digestive tract:
- perforation of the intestine;
- gastric bleeding;
- peptic ulcers;
For the skin and mucous membranes:
- impaired wound healing,
- allergic reactions
On the part of the central nervous system and organs of vision:
- mental disorders;
- subcapsular cataracts;
- increased intracranial pressure.
Other side effects: immunosuppressive state, disruption of water and electrolyte metabolism, increased blood pressure, vasculitis.
Instructions for use Hydrocortisone
When emergencies recommend the use of hydrocortisone intravenously.
Adult Dose starts from 100ml to 450-500 ml and more, depending on the severity of the patient's condition. Assign to 1500 mg / day.
V / m adults - 125-200mg per day
Babies - 15-30 mg per day, by dividing the dose into several times.
Intra-articular and periarticular Hydrocortisone administered in suspension:
- 3-50 mg for an adult;
- 25mg for children - 3 months. up to 1 year; 25-50 mg - from 1 to 6 years old; at 50-75 mg - 6 to 14 years.
Eye Ointment Hydrocortisone is introduced into the conjunctival sac of one, two or three times a day.
Hydrocortisone Ointment is applied in a thin layer on the skin no more than four times a day, the treatment is not more than three weeks.
According to the instructions to the hydrocortisone, the initial dose for oral administration is 20-240ml followed ёё decline. However, at an exacerbation of multiple sclerosis, the dose can be increased to 800 mg per day., Followed by a reduction.
Store at room temperature.