Glucophage - hypoglycemic agents from the group of biguanides used orally for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
The active substance Glucophage - Metformin.
According to the instructions Glyukofazh reduces hepatic glucose production, its concentration in the blood, but also reduces the absorption of glucose from the gastrointestinal tract.
It helps reduce and stabilize the body weight.
The drug is released in the form of tablets of 30 or 60 pieces in a package. They are of two types:
- Round biconvex tablets of 500 mg, 850 mg and 1000 mg.
- Kapsulovidnye biconvex tablets Glyukofazh called Long, 500 mg and 750 mg. Unlike conventional tablets after ingestion of the drug occurs delayed absorption metroformina. This property of long Glyukofazh used to reduce possible side effects.
According to the instructions Glyukofazh used in the treatment of diabetes of the second type in adults with concomitant or obese. Quite often the treatment is carried out in combination with insulin.
Also Glyukofazh can also be used for the treatment of diabetes of the second type, and in children from 10 years.
Glyukofazh has a rather large list of contraindications:
- Renal dysfunction and acute diseases that can cause similar disorders: severe infections, dehydration, sepsis, shock, broncho-pulmonary diseases, fever;
- Abnormal liver function;
- Hypersensitivity to the active ingredient - metformin, as well as any of the excipients;
- Precoma, diabetic coma;
- Cardiac or respiratory failure, myocardial infarction and other manifestations of acute and chronic diseases;
- Acute poisoning, including alcohol, alcoholism;
- Reduced-calorie diet.
Elderly over 60 years engaged in heavy physical work, use of the drug is not recommended.
The most common disorders of the nervous system that occur as a violation of taste (the appearance of the "metallic" taste).
Lack of appetite, abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea usually occur during the initial period of treatment and, according to numerous reviews of Glucophage usually go away.
If you experience allergic reactions such as skin rash or itching, the dose should be reduced or temporarily suspend the use of the drug.
It is extremely rare metabolic disorders and liver dysfunction.
Instructions for use Glucophage
Monotherapy and combination therapy (in combination with other drugs, often with insulin) Adult:
- The starting dose is 500 mg 2-3 times a day. Glucophage should be taken during or after a meal;
- The maintenance dose is usually higher from 1500 to 2000 mg per day. To avoid possible side effects, the dose is usually divided into 2-3 doses;
- The maximum dose per day is 3,000 mg.
In the combined administration of insulin selected individually based on the results of measurement of blood glucose. The slow increase in the dose improves gastrointestinal tolerability.
The starting dose of Glucophage for children and adolescents is 500 mg 2-3 times a day. After 10 days is necessary to measure blood glucose and on this basis correct dose. However, the daily dose can not be more than 2000 mg. The same scheme is used and during combination therapy with insulin.
For older people, the dose is calculated individually because of a possible decline in renal function.
When acute bronchopulmonary infection during use of the drug should be immediately going to the doctor because of the risk of lactic acidosis. During pregnancy, the drug should be replaced with insulin. Also, according to reviews of Glucophage should not take medication during breastfeeding.
Glucophage should be carefully administered with other drugs. For simultaneous use with tools that somehow affect the production of insulin, may require more frequent monitoring of blood glucose, and the dose of Glucophage can be adjusted.
Sometimes dietitians Glyukafazh prescribed for weight loss. The best results reduce the excess weight provides a comprehensive approach. Getting rid of bad habits, a rational low-calorie diet and regular exercise can quickly and steadily lose weight. However, be aware that the drug is intended for the treatment of diabetes, and use Glyukofazh slimming can only be on prescription and under the supervision of a physician.