Fosamax - an inhibitor of bone resorption bifosfanatov group.
The product contains the active ingredient - sodium alendronate
. Localized in active centers of bone resorption, the drug inhibits the pathological process caused by osteoclasts, without affecting the right way on new bone formation
. The processes of formation and bone resorption are interconnected, so the action FOSAMAX reduced and bone formation, but to a lesser extent than the process of resorption
. This results in a progressive increase in bone mass
. In the treatment with this drug is formed normal bone tissue, which is embedded in the structure of the pharmacologically inactive alendronate
. In a therapeutic dosage Fosamax causes osteomalacia
. This drug is well established in the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis in women, significantly increasing bone density, so the positive reviews of Fosamax
. Data from clinical studies indicate high drug activity
When taken orally in a dosage of 5-70mg FOSAMAX 2 hours before breakfast conventional bioavailability of about 0, 6%. At a later reception bioavailability is reduced by 40%. When receiving FOSAMAX with food or after a meal bioavailability is negligible. Data on the ability of the drug metabolized in the human body is not.
The amount of 50% drug excreted by the kidneys. Terminal half-life is about FOSAMAX 10 years, indicating that its release from bone.
The instructions to the Fosamax contain the following indications:
- postmenopausal osteoporosis in women (prevention of fractures, particularly the femur, compression fractures of the spine);
- prevention of osteoporosis at risk of its occurrence in women during menopause (decrease the likelihood of fractures);
- treatment of osteoporosis in men (prevention of fractures);
- treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis;
- treatment of Paget's disease of bone.
Contraindications to the use of FOSAMAX
According to the instructions for Fosamax, the drug is contraindicated in:
- hypersensitive to the components;
- diseases of the esophagus, slowing its emptying (achalasia, stricture);
- inability to stand or sit upright for half an hour.
When using FOSAMAX reported the occurrence of the following side effects:
- from the gastrointestinal tract: ulcers, erosion of the esophagus, vomiting, nausea, gastritis, esophagitis, melena, perforation, gastric and duodenal ulcers, including peptic ulcer disease (a significant association with the use of the drug has not been established), esophageal stricture, local osteonecrosis of the jaw associated with previous tooth extraction;
- by the muscular and skeletal system: bone pain, myalgia, pain in the joints, swelling of the joints;
- Skin: erythema, skin rash, photosensitivity, alopecia, pruritus, rarely - severe allergic processes (epidermal necrolysis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome);
- From the senses: episcleritis, scleritis, uveitis;
- CNS: dizziness, dysgeusia;
- Others: hypocalcemia, peripheral edema.
Side effects are often the cause of negative reviews of Fosamax by patients. To avoid side effects of the drug requires strict medical supervision when using it. In applying the drug according to instructions Fosamax quite well tolerated. More likely to develop mild side effects that do not require discontinuation of therapy.
Dosing FOSAMAX, the dosage
Fosamax is for oral use.
Take the drug should be at least half an hour before a meal or liquid. Wash down with plain water only. Any other drinks reduce the absorption of FOSAMAX.
To avoid irritation of the esophagus is recommended to follow these instructions when taking Fosamax: drink tablet in the morning immediately after getting out of bed; with a full glass of plain water, without chewing or dissolving tablet in the oral cavity; before the first meal is not recommended to go to bed (at least 30 minutes). Do not take Fosamax before getting up from bed and before going to bed.
If insufficient intake of vitamin D and calcium is recommended in parallel to take appropriate medications.
Therapeutic dosage FOSAMAX osteoporosis is 70 mg (1 tablet) once a week.
The dosage for prevention of osteoporosis - 5 mg per day.
Dosage glucocorticoid induced osteoporosis - 5 mg per day.
The dosage of FOSAMAX for the treatment of Paget's disease of bone - 40 mg per day for 6 months.
With an overdose of Fosamax and unique experience symptoms of hypocalcemia, hypophosphatemia, upper gastrointestinal lesions. In case of overdose the patient should take an antacid or milk to bind alendronate. Vomiting should never be called (possibly damage the esophageal mucosa). No specific treatment.
Drug interaction FOSAMAX
It may impair the absorption of FOSAMAX while taking antacids, calcium supplements and other oral drugs. The interval between taking Fosamax and other drugs should be more than 30 minutes. With the simultaneous use of glucocorticoids is not revealed significant drug interactions.
The use of FOSAMAX in pregnancy
Use Fosamax during pregnancy and lactation is contraindicated.
Reviews of Fosamax
This drug has a high ability to restore bone, as evidenced in a number of clinical trials, so positive reviews about Fosamax from doctors and patients. In applying the drug according to instructions in the appropriate dosage of the risk of severe side effects is minimal.
Analogs of FOSAMAX
The following analogues FOSAMAX: Alendronate, Alental, Ostalon, Osterepar, Strongos, Tevanat, Foroza.
When using Fosamax and unique risk lesions of the upper gastrointestinal tract. Patients should be warned of this risk. When characteristic symptoms require medical attention. Risk of serious damage to the gastrointestinal tract is significantly higher in patients who violate the recommendations on the use of FOSAMAX or continue taking it after the onset of symptoms of gastrointestinal mucosa.
If you accidentally pass another receiving FOSAMAX (mode 1 tablet per week) it is recommended to take the next pill in the morning nearby. In the following is recommended to return to the selected schedule dosing. Do not take 2 tablets in one day.
Fosamax is used only on doctor's prescription and under strict medical supervision.
Before using the drug is recommended to study the instructions in the Fosamax.