Fansidar - antimalarial combination drug.
Delagil - similar in principle to Fansidar.
Structure and Composition Fansidar
Fansidar is available in the following dosage forms:
- in the form of tablets;
- in the form of a solution for intramuscular injection.
One tablet or one ampoule (2 5 ml) solution of the preparation contains 500 mg of sulfadoxine and 25 mg of pyrimethamine. The composition of the tablets includes the following medications auxiliary components: gelatin, lactose, corn starch, talc, magnesium stearate.
Pharmacological action Fansidar
According to the instructions Fansidar has antiprotozoal, antimalarial action. Active component of the drug active against asexual forms of malaria parasites intraeritrotsitarnyh (trofozoidov, schizonts). The combined effect of sulfadoxine and pyrimethamine inhibits two key enzymes affecting folinic acid biosynthesis in microorganisms. Parasites are killed after a single administration of Fansidar.
This drug is active against most strains of human pathogens plasmodia - P. vivax, P. Malariae, P. falciparum, P. ovale, including against strains resistant to known pyrimethamine and 4-aminoquinoline derivatives.
However, in South America, Central and East Africa, as well as in Southeast Asia revealed strains of P. falciparum developed resistance to existing components of the drug Fansidar.
The drug is also effective in infections caused by Pneumocystis carinii and Toxoplasma gondii.
There are the following indications for use of Fansidar:
- Treatment of toxoplasmosis;
- prevention of Pneumocystis carinii infection;
- treatment and prevention of malaria.
- hypersensitivity to sulfonamides;
- infancy up to two months;
- renal and / or hepatic impairment;
- parenchymal liver;
- suppression of bone marrow hematopoiesis;
- blood diseases;
- first trimester of pregnancy;
It proved a damaging effect on the fetus pyrimethamine in early pregnancy, which is neutralized while taking Fansidar and folinic acid.
Fansidar: instructions for use
According to the instructions in the Fansidar tablet form it is recommended to take after a meal, washed down with a sufficient amount of water (do not chew). The solution for intramuscular injection is administered deeply.
At the instruction of Fansidar it is recommended to take quinine for about a week (to reduce the risk of relapse).
For the treatment of malaria (uncomplicated forms) the following single doses of Fansidar:
- 3 adults prescribed pills or 7, 5 ml solution for injection;
- Children from 10 to 14 years - 2 tablets or 5 ml;
- children of 7 to 9 years - 1, 3 or 5 tablets, 5 ml;
- children 4 to 6 years - one tablet 2 or 5 ml;
- children under 4 years of age - 0, 5 tablets or 1, 5 ml.
For prevention and supportive treatment of malaria patients with partial immunity it is recommended to take 2-3 tablets Fansidar once every four weeks, and patients with no immunity - 1 tablet once a week. Children from 9 to 14 years - 2 tablets children 4 to 8 years - one tablet for children up to 4 years - 0, 5 tablets. Children with partial immunity recommended dose should be taken every four weeks, and children without immunity - once in two weeks.
According to the instructions Fansidar are beginning to take a week before departure in endemic areas, continue to receive the drug during the entire period of stay, as well as in the first six weeks after returning.
For the treatment of toxoplasmosis, patients are advised to take 2 tablets of the drug once a week for one to two months.
Infants and young children for the prevention of pneumonia prescribe 40 mg per 1 kg of body weight (sulfadoxine content) every two weeks, adults - one or two tablets per week.
Side effects of Fansidar
The recommended dose of Fansidar instructions are usually well tolerated.
As with other drugs containing sulfonamides or pyrimethamine, Fansidar can cause the following side effects:
- Skin reactions: itching, rash, hair loss. In rare cases - Lyell's syndrome, Stevens-Johnson syndrome;
- Reactions on the part of the digestive tract: stomatitis, a feeling of fullness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, hepatitis (in some cases);
- Hematologic disorders - leukopenia (usually asymptomatic), anemia, thrombocytopenia, rarely - agranulocytosis. In these cases folinic acid administered intramuscularly;
- Other: sometimes - headache, weakness, rarely - pulmonary infiltrates, cough.
The simultaneous use of Fansidar and trimethoprim enhances metabolic folic acid that may cause hematological changes.
Co-administration of Chloroquine and Fansidar can promote increase in the frequency and severity of adverse reactions strengthening compared to monotherapy.
Symptoms: convulsions, loss of appetite, nausea, signs of excitation, vomiting. When seizures patient should immediately introduce parenteral diazepam or barbiturates.