Exelon - a drug used to treat dementia.
Structure and Composition Exelon
Exelon is produced in two dosage forms:
- Opaque capsules comprising the active ingredient - rivastigmine at doses of 1, 5 mg, 3 mg, 4 mg, or 5 to 6 mg. Additional components: colloidal silicon dioxide, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, hypromellose. The blisters of 14 capsules.
- The yellow solution for internal use, containing active substance - 2 mg rivastigmine. Additional components: anhydrous citric acid, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, purified water, quinoline yellow WS, dihydrate powder. During dark glass bottles of 50 ml.
According to the instructions Exelon is a selective inhibitor of acetyl and butyrylcholinesterase brain. The drug is used to treat Alzheimer's disease and for the treatment of dementia in Parkinson's disease. The use of rivastigmine inhibits the breakdown of acetylcholine, produced by neurons. Furthermore, rivastigmine increases the content of acetylcholine in cerebral cortex and hippocampus, which substantially improves the cholinergic neurotransmission.
Exelon Review has a positive effect in case of cognitive decline, caused by a lack of acetylcholine, especially dementia caused by Alzheimer's disease or Parkinson's disease.
In addition, there is evidence that the use of the drug slows down the formation of amyloid plaques, which are the main pathological feature of Alzheimer's disease.
Exelon according to the instructions prescribed for mild to moderately severe dementia in Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease or Alzheimer's disease is suspected.
Exelon is contraindicated in:
- in case of hypersensitivity to the active or additional components of the drug;
- at the age of 18;
- in severe hepatic dysfunction.
In the opinion of Exelon should be used with caution in:
- Abuse conduction (AV-block, sinoatrial block);
- predisposition to urinary tract obstruction;
- asthma or other respiratory diseases in history.
Do not appoint simultaneously with other Exelon holinomimetikami.
Dosing and dosing regimen Exelon
According to the instructions Exelon administered orally twice a day - at breakfast and dinner.
Initial dosage Exelon usually is 1, 5 mg twice a day. If patients have increased sensitivity to cholinergic drugs, it is recommended to establish an initial dose of 1 mg twice a day.
If, after two weeks of therapy the patient was not observed any side effects from the drug, the dosage can be increased to 3 mg twice a day. With good tolerability and this dosage, it is first raised to 4 and 5 mg, and after that - to 6 mg twice a day. Interval after each dosage increase should not be less than two weeks.
Supportive Exelon dosage is from 1, 5 to 6 mg twice a day. The maximum dose is 6 mg twice a day.
If a break in reception Exelon made a few days, then start taking it again with the minimum dosage necessary to avoid the risk of unwanted side effects.
Side effects Exelon
In the opinion of Exelon cause the following side effects:
- Digestive system: nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, dyspepsia, and abdominal pain, mild pancreatitis, bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract, stomach ulcers and 12 duodenal ulcer, changes in laboratory values of liver function.
- Central nervous system: headache, dizziness, tremors, drowsiness, agitation, depression, insomnia, confusion, hallucinations, fainting, seizures.
- Cardiovascular system: marked increase in blood pressure, arrhythmia, myocardial infarction, angina pectoris.
- Skin manifestations: skin rash, excessive sweating.
- Other side effects: asthenia, and fatigue, weight loss, accidental falls, malaise.
In most cases, Exelon overdose of reviews are not accompanied by any clinical symptoms and do not require discontinuation of therapy.
Symptoms of an overdose include:
- marked increase in blood pressure;
- vomiting, nausea;
In cases of overdose it is not recommended to take the drug for the next day. If overdose is accompanied by nausea and vomiting, it is necessary to apply the anti-emetics.
The use of Exelon during pregnancy and breastfeeding
To date, the safety of the use of Exelon during pregnancy has not been established, and the drug is recommended to be used only on strict conditions to it. While the drug is recommended to stop breastfeeding, although no data or reviews Exelon regarding release of its active ingredient in breast milk is not.
Exelon drug store in a dry place at room temperature for no longer than 36 months.