Depakine - an anticonvulsant.
Pharmacological action Depakin
Depakine - this antiepileptic drug that has a sedative and central muscle relaxant effect. The mechanism of action of the drug is associated with an increase in the content of the central nervous system, GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), thereby reducing the anxiety and convulsive readiness motor areas in the brain. Another hypothesis of scientists argues that the drug may act in the areas of post-synaptic receptors, thereby enhancing or mimicking the inhibitory effect of GABA. It is also possible to directly impact on the activity of the membrane that is associated with some changes in the conductivity of K + ions.
According to the reviews of Depakine, he is able to improve mood and mental state of patients. This drug has an effective anti-arrhythmic action.
- drops meant for ingestion;
- syrup for children.
- lyophilizate from which prepared the solution for intravenous administration;
- tablets, which are coated with enteric-coated;
- coated tablet having a prolonged action;
According to the instructions to the Depakine, it is indicated for:
- epilepsy of various origins;
- changes in behavior and character, which are caused by epilepsy;
- epileptic seizures, considering partial and generalized seizures, and seizures occurring against the background of various kinds of organic disease of the brain;
- manic-depressive illness, is characterized by a bipolar current and can not be effectively treated with medicines such as Li +;
- specific syndromes (eg Lennox-Gastaut syndrome or West);
- febrile convulsions in children;
- children tick.
Doctors allocate such contraindications Depakin:
- hepatic impairment;
- dysfunction of the pancreas;
- chronic and acute hepatitis;
- hemorrhagic diathesis;
- pregnancy (especially the first trimester);
- severe thrombocytopenia.
All drugs Depakin children under 3 years of age can not eat, except for the children's syrup.
With caution should appoint Depakine patients with organic disease of the bone marrow, mental retardation (especially if children), inhibition of bone marrow hematopoiesis, diseases of the pancreas and liver, congenital fermentopathy and renal failure.
Instructions Depakin: methods of use
According to the instructions to the Depakine, tablets should be taken orally without chewing, immediately after or before meals 2-3 times a day with a little water.
Depakinum syrup may be mixed with any liquid or added to a small portion of food. For adults and children in monotherapy initial dose typically is 5-15 mg / kg / day, it may gradually be increased to 5-10 mg / kg / week. The maximum dose should not exceed 30 mg / kg / day. During the combination therapy for adults should start with a dose of 10-30 mg / kg / week, gradually increasing it to 5-10 mg / kg / week. Babies Depakine usually appoint 15-45 mg / kg, the maximum rate may be 50 mg / kg.
It is worth remembering that taking Depakin may appoint a doctor, it shall monitor the course of disease and change the course of treatment.
Admission Depakin, patient testimonials confirm this may be accompanied by some side effects.
CNS side effects which may be:
- altered mental status, mood or behavior (fatigue, depression, aggression, psychosis, hyperactivity, irritability, etc.);
- impaired consciousness;
From the senses are possible:
- nystagmus (jerky involuntary eye movement from side to side);
- double vision (visual disturbances, manifested in the doubling of subjects);
- flashing in his eyes.
From the digestive system, according to reviews of Depakine may occur:
- reduction or, on the contrary, increased appetite;
May react negatively and other systems of the body, but if all the purpose and the instructions of the doctor, the side effects can be avoided.
Conditions and terms
Keep Depakine need to dry, out of reach of children and protected from light is not more than 3 years.