Clomipramine - an antidepressant used to treat obsessive-compulsive disorders.
Active substance clomipramine, due to the stimulation of adrenergic and serotonergic mechanisms in the central nervous system, has antidepressant effect in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorders in the first week of treatment.
Compared with other agents of this group clomipramine stimulating effect on responses is less pronounced than that of the drug imipramine, and sedation is somewhat weaker than that of amitriptyline.
Clomipramine is produced in the form of film-coated tablets 25 mg, 10 pieces in the blister.
Also contains the active substance clomipramine Anafranil SR drugs, Anafranil, Klofranil.
According to the instructions Clomipramine is indicated for:
- Depressive states of various etiologies, including endogenous, organic, neurotic, reactive, masked and involutional depression;
- Depressive syndrome in schizophrenia and personality disorders;
- Post-traumatic neuropathy, narcolepsy, post-herpetic neuralgia;
- Presenile and senile depression;
- Reactive depressive disorders, neurotic and psychopathic nature, including their somatic equivalents in children;
- Doldrums with prolonged pain syndrome;
- Chronic pain in migraine, cancer and rheumatic diseases;
- Atypical facial pain, headache;
- Chronic physical illness;
- Fear of panic attacks;
- Obsessive-compulsive syndromes and phobias.
Clomipramine is contraindicated according to the instructions to apply at:
- The blockade of the conduction system of the myocardium;
- Severe hepatic failure;
- Urinary retention;
- Pregnancy, except for the first trimester;
- Recent myocardial infarction;
- Angle-closure glaucoma;
- Hypersensitivity to clomipramine, auxiliary components of the drug, and other tricyclic antidepressants.
Clomipramine is not recommended before the age of 6 years. During therapy drinking alcohol is strictly contraindicated.
Clomipramine should be taken with caution:
- When reduced seizure threshold;
- During treatment with steroids;
- In severe liver or kidney disease;
- In hyperthyroidism;
- When pheochromocytoma and neuroblastoma because of the risk of a hypertensive crisis;
- In diabetes.
Adults clomipramine for instructions usually given up to three times a day for 25-50 mg, children - up to 50 mg per day. Ambulatory recommended to take no more than 250 mg a day in the hospital - not more than 300 mg.
Particular caution should be exercised while applying clomipramine:
- With other drugs depressing the central nervous system. In these cases, may develop respiratory depression, hypotensive action and increased inhibitory action on the nervous system;
- Cimetidine - due to possible increase in concentration of clomipramine in plasma;
- With antiadrenergicheskim means, because it can reduce or completely eliminate their antihypertensive effect;
- With selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors - because of the possible increase in action on serotonin system;
- Paroxetine, which may lead to an increase in the plasma concentration of clomipramine metabolite thereof S-dezmetilklomipramina;
- With MAO inhibitors - may be hyperpyrexia, hypertensive crisis, generalized seizures, myoclonus, delirium and coma;
- With estrogen, which can lead to metabolic disorders clomipramine.
Most often, the application of clomipramine Review developing central nervous system disorders, which are manifested as dizziness, myoclonus, fatigue, headache, blurred vision. Several less when using the drug developed:
- Sleep disorders and nightmares;
- Aggression, anxiety and increased depression;
- Disorders of muscle tone;
- Impaired concentration;
- noise in ears;
- Feeling the heat;
- Hallucinations, depersonalization, and memory impairment;
- Speech disorders;
The other most common disorders caused by clomipramine reviews include increased appetite, nausea, weight gain, dry mouth, breast enlargement, increased sweating, constipation, galactorrhoea, disturbances of libido and potency.
Much less clomipramine causes:
- Sinus tachycardia, postural hypotension, palpitations, arrhythmias, ECG changes, increased blood pressure;
- Abdominal discomfort, eosinophilia, vomiting, diarrhea, jaundice, thrombocytopenic purpura, anorexia, hepatitis, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia;
- Increased body temperature;
- Swelling, syndrome of inappropriate secretion of ADH;
- Skin rash and itching;
Clomipramine is sold only by prescription. Shelf life of tablets - no more than 24 months.