Clarithromycin - semi-synthetic antibacterial agent used for the treatment of infectious and inflammatory diseases caused by sensitive microorganisms.
The active substance Clarithromycin bacteriostatic and bactericidal. The drug is active against:
- Gram-negative bacteria - Haemophilus influenzae, Helicobacter pylori, Haemophilus ducreyi, Bordetella pertussis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Moraxella catarrhalis, Neisseria meningitidis, Borrelia burgdorferi;
- Gram-positive bacteria - Corynebacterium spp., Staphylococcus spp., Listeria monocytogenes, Streptococcus spp .;
- Anaerobic bacteria - Peptococcus spp., Bacteroides melaninogenicus Eubacterium spp., Propionibacterium spp., Clostridium perfringens;
- Intracellular microorganisms - Ureaplasma urealyticum, Chlamydophila pneumoniae, Chlamydia trachomatis, Legionella pneumophila, Mycoplasma pneumoniae.
Clarithromycin instructions are also active against Mycobacterium spp. (Except for Mycobacterium tuberculosis), and Toxoplasma gondii.
Registered pretty much unparalleled clarithromycin, which have the same therapeutic effect.
Clarithromycin is produced in the form:
- Oval biconvex tablets of light yellow, film-coated, 250 mg and 500 mg (Clarithromycin 500). Excipients - polacrilin potassium, microcrystalline cellulose, pre-gelatinized starch, corn starch, talc, colloidal anhydrous silica, magnesium stearate. 14 pieces per pack;
- Fine light-yellow granules for suspension Clarithromycin for intake in dark glass bottles to prepare 60 mL (1 and 5 mg) and 100 ml (2, 5 mg) was finished slurry.
According to the instructions Clarithromycin is used for a variety of infectious diseases that are sensitive to the active substance:
- Otitis media;
- Acute sinusitis;
- Acute and chronic (exacerbation), bronchitis,
- Bacterial and SARS;
- Various infections of the skin and soft tissues.
Clarithromycin is also used for the prevention of mycobacterial infections in AIDS patients.
Application Clarithromycin is contraindicated in:
- Severe deficiency of the liver and hepatitis (in history);
- Glucose malabsorption syndrome (galactose), congenital fructose intolerance or sucrase deficiency of the enzyme-isomaltase;
- Hypersensitivity to clarithromycin or other macrolide antibiotics,.
Clarithromycin on instructions do not apply in the first trimester of pregnancy, children younger than 6 months, and at the same time with cisapride, terfenadine, astemizole and pimozide. Application of the second and third trimesters of pregnancy is possible strictly on the testimony. Children under 12 years of age or weighing up to 33 kg is contraindicated take clarithromycin tablets.
Instructions for use Clarithromycin
When using Clarithromycin tablets without breaking, swallowed whole with water.
Usually, children over the age of 12 and adults administered every 12 hours 250 mg Clarithromycin.
For the treatment of acute sinusitis and other severe infections caused by Haemophilus influenzae, administered every 12 hours and 1 tablet Clarithromycin 500. The course of treatment is one to two weeks.
For the purpose of eradication of H. pylori - twice a day, 250-500 mg for a week, usually in combination with other drugs.
For the treatment and prevention of infection by Mycobacterium avium complex, administered every 12 hours and 1 tablet Clarithromycin 500. Treatment is usually long-term, more than six months.
Children under 12 years are usually prescribed suspension, which calculates the dose - 15 mg per 1 kg of body weight per day, divided into two doses. After oral suspension is recommended to give a little liquid. Tiny pellets contained in slurry should not chew because they bitter taste.
Clarithromycin administered orally using a syringe metering accommodating 5 ml suspension, which corresponds to 125 mg of clarithromycin.
The syringe should be washed after each use. The average duration of treatment - from one to two weeks.
To prepare the suspension shaken bottle is added 1/4 part of the required 42 ml of water and stirred until complete dissolution of the granules. Then the residue was added water to the volume of suspension reaches the line mark on the vial, and shaken again.
In the opinion of Clarithromycin is better tolerated than erythromycin. In the application can be a variety of side effects:
- Diarrhea, nausea, stomatitis, vomiting, abdominal pain, glossitis; much less by the reviews Clarithromycin causes pseudomembranous colitis, elevated liver enzymes and cholestatic jaundice;
- The feeling of fear, dizziness, insomnia or nightmares, confusion;
- Urticaria, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, anaphylactic reactions, temporary changes in taste sensations.
Antibiotic treatment is usually alters the normal flora of the intestine and, in the opinion of clarithromycin, and in some cases may develop superinfection caused by resistant microorganisms.
Analogs of Clarithromycin - Aziklar, Klerimed, Klarbakt, Lekoklar, Klarimisin, Klatsid and Klatsid CP, Fromilid, Fromilid Uno, Klamed, Klabel, Binoklar, Klabaks, Klarikar, Kleron, Klaritsid. These drugs have the same active material and having the same therapeutic effect. The difference in names due to a variety of brands that produce these drugs.
Klatsid analogue clarithromycin is original for this group of drugs.
Clarithromycin is available on prescription. Shelf life of tablets, film-coated - 5 years, granules for suspension - 2 years.