Ceftazidime - cephalosporin
antibiotic third generation.
Structure and Composition
The preparation is produced as a powder to prepare a solution. Patients in the 1 g or 2 containing the active substance - ceftazidime 1 or 2 grams, respectively.
Additional components - sodium carbonate.
Analogues of ceftazidime are the following drugs: Aurotsef, Zatsef, Tazid, Tseftadim.
The pharmacological action of ceftazidime
According to the instructions Ceftazidime is an antibacterial drug belonging to the cephalosporin group of 3rd generation.
The drug has a broad spectrum of activity, violates the synthesis of cell walls of microorganisms, has a bactericidal effect on the body. Resistant to most beta-lactamases.
Indications for use of ceftazidime
According to the instructions Ceftazidime is indicated for diseases of infectious and inflammatory nature, caused by microorganisms sensitive to the drug:
• purulent septic serious condition;
• infections of the urinary tract (pyelitis, pyelonephritis, urethritis, cystitis, kidney abscess, prostatitis);
• infections of joints and bones (osteomyelitis, septic arthritis, bacterial bursitis);
• infections of skin and soft tissue (wound infections, mastitis, erysipelas, cellulitis, infected burns);
• infectious upper respiratory disease (mastodynia, otitis media, sinusitis);
• infectious diseases gastrointestinal tract, biliary tract abdomen (diverticulitis, gallbladder empyema, cholecystitis, enterocolitis, cholangitis);
• infections of the lower respiratory tract (lung abscess, pneumonia, bronchitis, empyema, bronchiectasis infected);
• infectious diseases of the female genitals (endometritis).
Dosing and dosing regimen of ceftazidime
According Ceftazidime instructions intended for intramuscular or intravenous administration. Dosage is established individually, depending on the type of infection, patient body weight, renal function, and others.
Children over 12 and adults with acute urinary tract infections, skin infections, and uncomplicated pneumonia appoint 0, 5-1 g of the drug every 8-12 hours.
When lung infections and cystic fibrosis, the dosage is 100-150 mg per kg body weight three times a day.
Infectious diseases of joints and bones, as well as neutropenia every 12 hours administered intravenously 2 g of ceftazidime.
With extremely severe life-threatening infections, the patient is administered 2 g intravenously every 8 hours.
The dosage for children is:
• up to two months - 30 mg per kg body weight intravenously divided in half;
• from two months to 12 years - 30-50 mg per kg of body weight intravenously, divided into three times.
Children with cystic fibrosis, immunocompromised and meningitis Ceftazidime administered every 12 hours at a dose of 150 mg per kg body weight.
The maximum daily dose for children is 6 g
The preparation and analogues ceftazidime contraindicated in case of hypersensitivity to penicillins and cephalosporins.
In the opinion of Ceftazidime
should be used with caution in kidney function, newborns, a tendency to bleeding and malabsorption syndrome.
In the opinion of Ceftazidime may cause the following side effects:
• Digestive system: diarrhea or constipation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, flatulence, abnormal liver function, dysbacteriosis, stomatitis, cholestasis, pseudomembranous enterocolitis, glossitis.
• Urinary system: toxic nephropathy, renal failure, anuria, oliguria.
• The system hematopoiesis: neutropenia, leukopenia, granulocytopenia, increased prothrombin time, hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, hypocoagulation.
• Allergies: fever or chills, rash, eosinophilia, angioedema, Lyell's syndrome, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, pruritus, rash, bronchospasm, anaphylactic shock.
• CNS: dizziness, headache, encephalopathy, seizures, paresthesia, tremor.
• Local reactions: intramuscular injection - pain at the injection site, with intravenous - phlebitis, pain along the vein.
Ceftazidime also on responses can cause superinfection, candidiasis, nosebleeds.
The use of ceftazidime during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Since the drug, as well as analogues of ceftazidime, penetrates the placenta, assign it is only on strict conditions. In the case of the appointment of ceftazidime during lactation should stop breastfeeding.
An overdose of ceftazidime
An overdose of ceftazidime reviews causes the following symptoms: seizures, headache, paresthesia, deviations in the results of laboratory tests, dizziness.
In the event of overdose it is necessary to conduct supportive and symptomatic treatment. In severe cases of overdose should reduce the concentration of drug in the blood by hemodialysis.
Action ceftazidime reduce bacteriostatic antibiotics. Increased nephrotoxicity while receiving the drug with aminoglycosides, "loop" diuretics, clindamycin, vancomycin.
Ceftazidime refers to preparations of the list B. Store in a dry, dark place at room temperature for no longer than 24 months.