Benzocaine - local anesthetic drug widely spectrum.
The active ingredient benzocaine has local anesthetic effect, preventing the emergence of pain.
For external use and application to the mucosa benzocaine action develops almost immediately and lasts for 15-20 minutes.
The active substance benzocaine is a part of various preparations for internal and external use:
- Alcohol solution for outdoor applications - Menovazin;
- Lozenge - Stopangin 2A Forte Geksoral Tubbs;
- Pastilles - Septolete Plus;
- Rectal capsules - Proctosedyl M Anestezol, Genferon, Olestezin, Genferon;
- Ointment for external use - Heparin ointment Advanced Relief, Proctosedyl;
- Oral suspension - Almagel A;
- The aerosol for external use - olazol;
- Tablets - Bellastezin, Anestezin, Bellalgin.
According to the instructions dosing regimen benzocaine individual, and depends on indications and dosage forms of the drug.
Externally generally applied 5% ointment, solution or powder to the affected area several times a day. In the treatment of inflammation of the ear canal is instilled 4-5 drops of Benzocaine. In dentistry usually used 5-20% oil solution mucosal paste and 50-70% for analgesia hard dental tissue.
Benzocaine inside adult is usually administered on 0, 3 g to 4 times per day, the maximum - 1, 5 g of the preparation. Children dosage depends on the age and the disease.
The combined use of benzocaine with cholinesterase inhibitors and analgesics, antipyretics enhanced effect of the drug.
Indications for use of benzocaine
Benzocaine, according to the instructions used in combination therapy:
- Inside - for pain mucous membranes with pain and spasms in the stomach, including peptic ulcer disease, as well as in case of hypersensitivity of the esophagus, esophagitis and gastralgia;
- Local and external - with myositis, pain in the external auditory canal, acute otitis media, rash, skin diseases, which are accompanied by itching, superficial skin lesions and mucous membranes, hemorrhoids and fissures and perianal disease of the superficial veins.
Besides Benzocaine is used in the diagnosis of the mucous membranes - ureteroscopy, gastroscopy, otoscopy, rectoscopy and gynecological procedures, and in dentistry for surface anesthesia.
According to the instructions in any drug dosage forms are contraindicated to use in case of hypersensitivity to benzocaine.
The drug is not recommended to use under the age of 2 years, and the use of benzocaine during pregnancy and lactation is possible only under strict conditions.
Side effects of benzocaine
In applying benzocaine for reviews may be minor allergic reactions, manifested as contact dermatitis, as well as tingling, burning, itching, swelling, erythema, urticaria, rash and persistent reduction in sensitivity at the application site. Infants most often seen methemoglobinemia.
With an overdose of benzocaine may experience dizziness, shortness of breath, cyanosis and methemoglobinemia.