Oxacillin - an antibiotic belonging to the group of semi-synthetic penicillins. Advantage oxacillin antibiotic is its efficacy against bacteria producing the enzyme penicillinase, but allows some other penicillins be really effective.
International Nonproprietary Name of the drug as well as the pharmacologically active substance with the same tradename: Oxacillin.
Antibiotics Oxacillin is available in two dosage forms:
- Powder for solution for parenteral administration in glass bottles of 250 and 500 mg of oxacillin. Capacity per vial may be 10 or 20 ml. The vials are packed in a cardboard box for 1, 5, 10 and 50 bottles, which embeds user to oxacillin for use;
- Pills. The content of oxacillin tablets consistently: 0, 25 In the role of the primary package may make a glass or polymer bottle with 20 tablets, a contour cell blister with 10 pills. Secondary packaging - cardboard box, which embeds user to oxacillin for use.
Antibiotics Oxacillin in the form of tablets produced by the domestic "Organic". But with powder for injection the situation is different: it is also a purely Russian preparation, but it is made in the capacity of three pharmaceutical companies: JSC "Biochemist", JSC "Synthesis", JSC "Krasfarma."
Analogs of oxacillin
Analogues have oxacillin, if you count those drugs that match the structure on the Russian pharmaceutical market there. But there are a number of other drugs, in addition to the composition of which includes one oxacillin penicillin antibiotic ampicillin:
- Oksamsar, Russia;
- Oksamp sodium, Russia;
- Ampicillin / Oxacillin-Borimed, Belarus;
- Ampioks, Russia.
As already mentioned, Oxacillin not sensitive to the action of penicillinase not degraded by the enzyme. The drug has a devastating effect on microorganisms because of its ability to inhibit the reproduction of cell membranes, which ultimately leads to them at the crucial stage of the life cycle of bacteria: in their division.
Use of oxacillin justified in infections caused by Gram-positive bacteria, including penitsillinprodutsiruyuschie strains of staphylococci, streptococci, Corynebacterium, anthrax (anthrax). The drug acts on certain Gram-negative cocci, including Neisseria, Treponema, actinomycetes.
With respect to most of the gram-negative microflora Oxacillin antibiotic activity does not show. He does not act on the viruses, protozoa, fungi, rickettsia.
Another advantage of the drug is slow the formation of bacterial resistance to it that inspires physicians often prescribe Oxacillin.
According to the instructions for use oxacillin this antibiotic effective in these infectious diseases (with the proviso that the infection is caused by an antibiotic sensitive microflora):
- blood poisoning;
- purulent inflammation (abscess), including bottled (phlegmonous) inflammation of the soft tissues;
- cholecystitis (inflammation localized in the gallbladder);
- pyelitis (inflammation of the renal pelvis);
- cystitis (bladder infection);
- osteomyelitis (bone marrow infection, occurring against the backdrop of purulent-necrotic inflammation);
- infections caused by steel surgery, burns or open wounds;
Thus, having any of the above diseases, the patient can count on the statement physician prescription oxacillin.
Brief instruction on the use of oxacillin
Injections oxacillin according to the instructions, you can do both intravenously and intramuscularly. Adults and children after 6 years of age should receive 2-4 g of the drug per day, younger children a dose calculated according to body weight: 60-80 mg per 1 kg of body weight per day (up to 3-month ex.) 1 g per 1 kg of body weight per day (3-month ex. to 2 years), 2 g to 1 kg per day (from 2 to 6 years), infants and children born prematurely, it should be 20 40 mg per 1 kg of body weight per day. The drug is administered frequently: every 4-6 hours; the daily dose divided into 4 doses. Duration of treatment averages 1-1, 5 weeks. The solvent for the powder is water for injection or sodium chloride 0 to 9%. They must be purchased separately, as the manufacturer does not put the solvent into the secondary packaging.
Oxacillin tablets should be taken based on the periodicity of ingestion of either one hour before or 2-3 hours after a meal. The maximum single dose for adults and children from 6 years old is 1 g daily - 3 years Children under 6 years of age receive 2 g of the drug per day.
The doctor did not prescribe a prescription for oxacillin, if the patient is installed hypersensitivity to the drug, as well as to other beta-lactams (not only penicillin). Oxacillin tablets should not be taken for children under 3 years ex.
For use oxacillin during pregnancy should be a very good reason, as far as possible this should be avoided. During breastfeeding, considering that the drug is excreted in breast milk, treatment oxacillin should be completely stopped.
When using oxacillin, the following adverse reactions:
- Allergies (including urticaria, bronchospasm);
- digestive disorders as a result of an imbalance of microflora (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea);
- candidiasis of the mouth and vagina;
- when used in doses exceeding therapeutic, there are signs of liver toxicity (yellowing of the skin and sclera, fever, nausea);
- when intravenous application may develop thrombophlebitis.
Antibiotics Oxacillin not indicated if the bacteriological study found that infectious agents are sensitive to benzylpenicillin.
As can be seen from the chapter "analog oxacillin" drugmakers "love" to combine the antibiotic ampicillin, and not without reason. The fact that ampicillin, unlike oxacillin, secreted by bacteria sensitive to penicillins. A oxacillin, in turn, protects ampicillin from its destructive action, making it a combination of antibacterial drugs really "killer" for a broader range of microorganisms.
Oxacillin is not recommended in conjunction with methotrexate, since in this case the increased toxicity of the latter.
Oxacillin both tablets and powder for solution implemented strictly in pharmacies by prescription.
Guide to oxacillin storage
Tablets and Powder oxacillin have several distinct temperature storage:
- The tablets were stored at 18-20? C;
- powder has a more gentle mode of storage: up to 25? C.
Shelf life oxacillin powders is 2 years, tablets - 3.