Alprazolam - antidepressant medication, sleeping pills and moderate anticonvulsant action.
Release form and composition
Means release tablets dosage 0, 25 mg and 1 mg, 50 pieces in a package.
According to the instructions, Alprazolam is used for:
- Anxiety disorders and neuroses, accompanied by a sense of danger or anxiety, worsening of sleep, and somatic disorders;
- Neurotic reactive-depressive states, which are accompanied by a decrease in mood, sleeplessness, loss of interest in surroundings and loss of appetite;
- Mixed anxiety and depressive states;
- Panic disorder with symptoms of phobias and without them;
- Anxiety disorders and neurotic depression, developed on the background of systemic diseases.
In accordance with the instructions to use Alprazolam is contraindicated in case of:
- Severe depression;
- Angle-closure glaucoma;
- Acute poisoning with alcohol, drugs and psychotropic substances, as well as opioid analgesics;
- Chronic obstructive airways disease with initial manifestations of respiratory failure;
- Myasthenia gravis;
- Acute respiratory failure;
- Hypersensitivity to benzodiazepines or other components of alprazolam.
The use of alprazolam during pregnancy is contraindicated because of the toxic effects exerted on the fetus.
The active ingredient of the drug is excreted in breast milk, it could have a negative effect on the newborn, so at the time of dosing to interrupt breastfeeding.
Alprazolam is not prescribed for persons under 18 years of age.
During treatment contraindicated drink alcohol.
If the kidney function or liver drug should be used with extreme care.
Dosage and Administration
According to the instructions, alprazolam is recommended to take the lowest effective dose. The initial dose is 250 to 500 micrograms to about three times per day. If necessary, it can be gradually increased to 4 and 5 mg per day. With a weakened body and also in the elderly initial dose should not exceed 500-750 pg per day.
The most common side effects occur early in treatment and manifest as fatigue, drowsiness, dizziness, ataxia, decreased ability to concentrate, unsteady gait, disorientation, and slowing of mental and motor responses.
In some cases, the use of alprazolam may cause the following side effects:
- CNS: headache, depression, impaired coordination of movements, aggressive outbursts, euphoria, anxiety and insomnia, extrapyramidal dystonic reactions, loss of memory, hallucinations, confusion, agitation, tremor, depressed mood, weakness, myasthenia gravis, dysarthria, irrational fear , muscle spasm;
- From the digestive system: loss of appetite, nausea, dry mouth or salivation, heartburn, constipation or diarrhea, vomiting, abnormal liver function, jaundice;
- From the urinary system: urinary incontinence or urinary retention, renal failure;
- Cardio-vascular system: decrease in blood pressure and tachycardia;
- From hemopoiesis system: neutropenia, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, anemia, thrombocytopenia;
- Allergic reactions: skin rash or itching;
- From endocrine system: disorders of libido, changes in body weight and menstrual irregularities.
In the treatment should be aware that long-term use of high doses of alprazolam may develop addictive. Drug withdrawal should be carried out gradually. It is recommended to reduce the dose of 500 mcg to accept no more than three times a day. In some cases, the slower elimination of the drug. Sudden discontinuation of alprazolam can lead to a withdrawal syndrome, which manifests itself in the form of insomnia, sweating, seizures, tremors and spasms of skeletal muscles.
In the treatment of endogenous depression drug can be used in conjunction with antidepressants.
Admission alprazolam with psychotropic and anticonvulsant drugs may enhance the adverse effect of the drug on the central nervous system.
Care should be taken while applying the drug to the histamine H2-receptor, macrolide antibiotics, other tranquilizers, and digoxin.
The structural analogs include drugs alprazolam: Alzolam, Heleks, Heleks CP Zolomaks.
Conditions and terms
Alprazolam should be protected from exposure to sunlight place at a temperature not more than 30 ° C.
Shelf life is 5 years from date of manufacture.