Depo-Provera - a contraceptive relating to anti-hormonal and intended for intramuscular administration.
The active ingredient of the drug Depo-Provera is medroxyprogesterone acetate. The contraceptive effect of Depo-Provera is due to its ability to inhibit the secretion of gonadotropins (regulate the sex glands) to suppress ovulation, inhibit secretory changes required for the introduction of a fertilized egg in the uterine wall, increase the viscosity of cervical mucus, preventing sperm penetration.
The drug Depo-Provera can increase body temperature - pyrogenic properties. High doses of Depo-Provera can have anticancer effects on the endocrine malignancies.
Use the drug Depo-Provera guide recommends that you:
- It prevents pregnancy by suppressing ovulation;
- endometriosis (growth of endometrial cells at ectopic space);
- recurrent or metastatic cancer of the endometrium (the inner lining of the uterus);
- recurrent breast cancer in women in menopause;
- recurrent or metastatic kidney cancer.
Instructions for use Depo-Provera
The drug Depo-Provera is intended for intramuscular injection. Before using the vial of suspension should be carefully shaken.
For contraception a shot Depo-Provera is administered every three months at 150 mg. The first administration of the drug should be made in the first five days of the cycle, when breast-feeding - for six weeks after birth.
Endometrial cancer and kidney cancer involves the use of 400-1000 mg of Depo-Provera in the week. Once improvement of the patient (in a few weeks or months), the drug is administered once a month at a dose of 400 mg.
In breast cancer, Depo-Provera injections made during 4 weeks at 500 mg per day, then the drug is administered twice weekly at 500 mg. The drug Depo-Provera, reviews confirm effective in the treatment of recurrent forms of hormone-dependent cancers.
In the drug Depo-Provera reviews and therapeutic practice note the following side effects:
- depression, drowsiness, fatigue, headache, dizziness, insomnia, nervousness;
- thromboembolism (acute blood clots), thrombophlebitis (blood clots and inflammation of the vein wall);
- itching, rash, hives, acne, apopetsiya (hair loss), hirsutism (excessive hair growth in women on the chin and upper chest, abdomen, back);
- galactorrhea (expiration of breast milk is the lactation period), breast tenderness;
- discharge from the genital tract, uterine bleeding, decreased libido, amenorrhea (absence of menstruation), abdominal pain;
- nausea, bloating;
- joint pain and back pain, leg cramps;
- weight changes, increased body temperature, moon face (pronounced round shape).
According to the instructions, Depo-Provera is not given to pregnant and lactating women, and people with hypersensitivity to medroxyprogesterone acetate.
The drug Depo-Provera is considered fit for 5 years, subject to storage in a place where the temperature corresponds to 20-25