Brief description of the pulmonary artery
Pulmonary artery - a blood vessel of the big guys of the pulmonary circulation, is a continuation of the pulmonary trunk. The only person from the arteries, which ensures the transfer of venous blood
to the lungs.
The structure of the pulmonary artery
The pulmonary artery is a branch 2 (about 2 to 5 cm in diameter) pulmonary trunk, which extend from the right ventricle. The pulmonary artery and the left front of all vessels that enter and exit the serdtsa.Pravaya pulmonary artery along the length larger than the left, the length of up to division into left and right is about 4 cm. The right pulmonary artery from the pulmonary trunk extends at an angle located between the superior vena vein ascending aorta with one end and to the right main bronchus other. The left continues pulmonary trunk, in front of the descending aorta and the left main bronchus. Each of the pulmonary arteries enters the corresponding light.
Functions of the pulmonary artery
The main function of the pulmonary arteries - carrying venous blood to the lungs, but it can prevent many illnesses, such as:
1. Pulmonary embolism - blood can not be transferred because of the blockage of the pulmonary artery and branches of the pulmonary artery thrombus. It is also found pulmonary embolism - blockage of the arteries air, grease, emnioticheskoy liquid foreign bodies, tumors and other rare causes.
The cause is a blood clot due to impaired blood flow, violations of the vessel wall, slowing the process of erosion of blood clots and blood clots in humans.
artery is classified in terms of the affected pulmonary vascular bed to such classes:
- Massive - affecting more than 50%;
- Submassive - struck from 30 to 50%;
- Nonmassive - up to 30%, respectively.
2. Pulmonary Artery Stenosis - narrowing of the outflow port from the right ventricle near the pulmonary valve. The consequence of narrowing of the pulmonary trunk is to increase the difference in pulmonary artery pressure in the right ventricle, which entails an increase in efforts to ejection of blood. Also increases the pressure in the right atrium. As a consequence there is right ventricular hypertrophy, and soon the lack of the right zheludochka.U many patients also develop atrial septal defect.
In severe stenosis in infants can be observed cyanosis, in patients older than age symptoms may not be.