General characteristics of the liver
Liver - big unpaired vital internal organs, which is in the abdomen below the diaphragm and performs a huge number of various physiological functions. The liver, primarily large digestive gland, which produces bile, a barrier to the toxic products of protein metabolism, an active participant in all kinds of exchange.
Thus, the liver is a participant digestion, blood circulation and metabolism.
The structure of the liver
The liver is divided into two parts: the left and right. The left lobe of the liver, in turn, is divided into two secondary lobes: a square, and caudate.
Under the scheme of division of the liver into segments suggested Claude Quinn, it is divided into eight segments. Segment - a pyramidal collection of basic plot elements functioning of the liver (parenchyma), which has a fairly independent blood supply, nerve endings, and the outflow of bile.
Lobed liver parenchyma, which means that slice - structural and functional unit of the liver. The structural components of the liver lobules are: liver plate intralobular hemocapillars, bile capillaries cholangioles, perisinusoidal space of Disse and central Vienna.
As mentioned earlier, the liver has a lot of features such as:
1. Neutralization kinds of foreign substances, by conversion into harmless or less harmful to those which are easily removed from the body.
2. Neutralization of end products of metabolism and elimination of excess hormones, vitamins, etc.
3. Providing body glucose by synthesis from different energy sources.
4. Recovery of provision and storage of some vitamins.
5. The formation of cholesterol and its esters.
6. Synthesis of bilirubin and bile acids.
7. The synthesis of hormones and enzymes involved in the digestion in the duodenum and other parts of the small intestine.
8. Serves as a place to store a large amount of blood, which, if necessary, such as hemorrhage, is released into the general bloodstream.
But the normal execution of these functions may prevent liver diseases such as cirrhosis, cancer, liver hemangioma, various cysts, and various viral infections.
The most common liver disease today - cirrhosis. Cirrhosis of the liver - chronic liver disease, which is characterized by violation of lobular structure by increasing the amount of connective tissue. Cirrhosis is shown in the functional failure and syndrome increased pressure in the portal vein. The main cause of liver cirrhosis - chronic alcoholism, viral hepatitis, the presence of harmful organisms in the liver.
For the treatment of liver cleansing the liver can be used. For the self-cleansing of the liver is necessary to give up bad habits, minimize the burden on the liver. To complete the treatment should consult a doctor, who will appoint a personal course of treatments and therapeutic measures.
If the treatment of the liver is no longer possible, the modern medicine offers only one option - a liver transplant. Although this operation is carried out from the middle of the last century, its success rate is quite small - an average of 55%.