In addition to the amazing taste coconut also contains a lot of useful substances.
as it is called, coconut - the fruit of the coconut palm, a plant belonging to the family of Palm. The name of the fruit comes from the Portuguese word coco, which means "monkey", and due to the presence on its surface spots, making it similar to a muzzle monkeys. Scientists believe that the birthplace of the coconut is the region of Southeast Asia. He is currently widespread in tropical regions of both hemispheres. Mainly engaged in growing and exporting coconuts in Indonesia, India, Thailand, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Brazil and in many countries located on the Pacific coast.
Generally, coconut - no nut but simply drupe rounded, the diameter of which is from 10 to 30 cm. It is covered with a thick layer of fibers and weighs up to 2, 5 kg. We've already sold in stores stripped of fiber drupe, the outer shell of which consists of a hard shell with the three "eyes" - soft regions located far from each other. Inside is a soft shell - the edible flesh of the coconut, which is also called copra, which has white and coconut water - slightly sweet liquid.
In the food consumed coconut milk and pulp. The pulp is used in fresh or dried form. It is added to a variety of salads, soups, main dishes and pastries. From the pulp also get the coconut milk and coconut oil, which is widely used in cooking and in the preparation of various cosmetic products.
The composition and caloric content of coconut
100 g coconut pulp contains 44 6 g of water, 36 g fat 5, 4, 8 g carbohydrate, 3, 9 g protein and 9 grams fiber; Vitamins: B, E, C, PP, H; macronutrients: sodium, calcium, sulfur, potassium, magnesium, chlorine, phosphorous; trace elements fluorine, selenium, zinc, iodine, manganese, iron, copper.
Caloric coconut quite high and is of 364 kcal per 100g of product.
Useful properties of coconut
Coconut and received from him the milk and coconut oil, have multiple beneficial properties:
- Normalize the thyroid gland;
- Improve liver and digestive system;
- The pulp and coconut milk are well able to recuperate and improve vision;
- Coconut oil nourishes and strengthens the hair, improves their overall condition and appearance;
- Relaxes the muscles and helps in diseases of the joints;
- Coconut Milk good thirst quencher;
- Coconut oil and milk are beneficial effect on the skin, smooth wrinkles, moisturize and nourish it;
- Enhance immunity and resistance to infections, reduce flexibility viruses to antibiotics;
- Helps the body in the cold and flu, diarrhea, gallbladder disease, AIDS, herpes;
- Reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and other diseases of the cardiovascular system, as well as cancer and degenerative processes;
- Has wound-healing, antimicrobial, anthelmintic, antiviral effect.
Thanks contained in the pulp of lauric acid (essential fatty acid, which is a part of breast milk) is a nice feature coconut lowering cholesterol in the blood.
Despite the many useful properties of coconut, it should be avoided if you are hypersensitive to any components included in its composition.