Urinary incontinence in men
Urinary incontinence in men - a condition in which periodically occurs involuntary urination (incontinence).
The probability of the disease increases with age, but there is no direct relationship. Urinary incontinence in women, is usually not a single disease but a consequence of a variety of pathological processes. Almost no effect on physical health, disease significantly reduces the quality of life complicates household, family, professional and social adaptation by inducing a number of psychological problems.
The main types of urinary incontinence in men:
- Stress. Urine can provoke physical activity, coughing, laughing. The heat released when the amount of urine that is usually small;
- Urgency (imperative). Urine output is due to the unbearable urge to urinate. Usually, a large amount of urine.
Urinary incontinence in men: Causes
The main causes of incontinence in men are due to:
- Age-related changes in tissues of the prostate, pelvic floor muscles, urogenital system;
- Cancer or adenomas (benign prostatic hyperplasia) of the prostate;
- The side effects of surgical treatment of prostate cancer;
- Damage to the brain or spinal cord, resulting in loss of control over the bladder;
- Infectious diseases of the lower urinary tract and bladder;
- Deposits of stones in the urinary bladder, kidney;
- Neurologic diseases such as stroke, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis;
- Taking certain medicines, such as antihistamines and decongestants;
- Stress, mental illness.
Urinary incontinence in men: Treatment
Treatment of urinary incontinence in men assigned depending on the type of disease.
Stress incontinence type recommended treated conservatively using the complex the following measures:
- Special exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles;
- Special exercises to strengthen the muscles of the perineum and sphincter system - a set of Kegel;
- Certain drugs.
The treatment of urinary incontinence in men with urgent type of disease is assigned after determining its causes. Effective therapy of benign prostatic hyperplasia, or prostatitis, in case of the disease, may be the solution of urgent problems of incontinence.
In diseases of unknown nature or neurogenic urinary incontinence in men is reduced to medical treatment to relax the bladder muscles, lifting her involuntary contractions and increase the functional capacity of the bladder.
Do not treat urinary incontinence in men folk methods and means, as it may aggravate the disease.
To prevent incontinence should limit consumption of alcohol, coffee, quit smoking and stop taking medications that have diuretic properties. It is necessary to control your weight because extra weight can cause additional stress on the bladder and provoke urinary incontinence in men.
Bedwetting men - enuresis, quite common, especially in the age group over 45 years. More than half of all manifestations of enuresis in adult men is a result of uncured childhood diseases. In other cases, doctors have concluded purchased or so-called secondary bedwetting men.
Experts classify the following types of enuresis in men:
At the first signs of bedwetting man should immediately go to the doctor to receive adequate medical care. Enuresis - is not only a psychological problem, it can cause a variety of diseases of the genitourinary system, such as inflammation of the bladder (cystitis).
Urinary incontinence in men: drugs
When conservative therapy does not reduce the frequency of urinary incontinence in men drugs can be prescribed only by the attending physician.
In modern medicine, there are the following kinds of medicines from urinary incontinence in men:
- Alpha-blockers (drugs based on terazosin, doxazosin, tamsulosin, alfuzosin). They stimulate the relaxation of smooth muscles of the bladder neck and prostate, and normalize the flow of urine and prevent the violation of bladder contractions, leading to urgent incontinence. In general, alpha-blockers used if male incontinence is the result of benign prostatic hyperplasia;
- Blockers 5-alpha reductase inhibitors (drugs based finasteride, dutasteride). Drugs to suppress the production of DHT, which is the cause of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Taken to reduce the incidence of urinary incontinence or delays in the bladder by reducing the size of the prostate gland;
- Tricyclic antidepressants (drugs based on imipramine). The drugs relax muscles and block the nerve impulses that cause spasms of the bladder;
- Antispasmodics (drugs based on the active components, propantheline, tolterodine, oxybutynin, darifenacin, trospium chloride, solifenacin succinate). The class of drugs relax muscles and reduce spasms of the bladder.
When uncomplicated urinary disorders doctor may recommend treatment with homeopathic and phytotherapeutic preparations uril, Enuran and others. For the treatment of age-related incontinence practiced homeopathic injections for men Super Optimal.
Appointed all drugs your doctor after a comprehensive survey and the establishment of an accurate diagnosis.