Spondylitis brings together a group of chronic diseases of the spine and joints inflammatory etiology, causing a decrease in bone density and severe bone deformity. In most cases, spondylitis is the result of TB infection, but there are also diseases caused by osteomyelitis, syphilis and other primary inflammatory lesions in the body.
Ankylosing spondylitis (also known as Bechterew's disease) is a chronic systemic disease of the joints and spine. This type of spondylitis occurs against the backdrop of constantly recurring inflammation in the joints and spine. There are cases when the disease ankylosing spondylitis leads to total immobility of the spine.
The name of the disease was named after the famous medic Bekhterev first described in detail ankylosing spondylitis in 1892. Ankylosing spondylitis affects, as a rule, women in the age group of over twenty years. Meets the disease at a younger age. The cases are also registered with ankylosing spondylitis and women, but much less often than men.
Among the first symptoms of this type of spondylitis are pain in the sacral and lumbar spine. Often, the pain gives to the groin, alternately to the left or right thigh. Pain syndrome is greatly enhanced when performing heavy physical work, and after a long stay in a fixed state. That is why spondylitis often causes insomnia, t. To. Intensifies the pain causes the patient to wake up in the second half of the night. Further development of the disease which can last for several years, accompanied by the following symptoms:
- The feeling of stiffness and loss of mobility of the spine;
- The limited (sparing) movement of the patient during sneezing, coughing, deep breathing;
- Shortening of the spine;
- The formation of so-called asylum posture formed by arcuately deformed spine.
Tuberculous spondylitis - the most common type of the disease.
In tuberculous spondylitis characteristic inflammatory process is a hotbed of the thoracic spine. Other parts of the spinal column can also be covered by disease, but such cases in clinical practice are relatively rare.
Symptoms of tuberculous spondylitis form is the emergence of the destruction chamber directly into the tissue of the spinal joints, and start an inflammatory process may be more than six vertebrae at a time. For further development of tuberculous spondylitis is characterized by inflammation spread beyond the spine. In the soft tissues surrounding the spine, formed the so-called wandering abscess - cold festering abscesses. Ultimately deformed vertebrae and begin to take the shape of a wedge. This destructive process is often accompanied by severe and painful complications - compression fractures of the spine. Festering abscesses rear spine can cause spinal disorders, t. To. The spinal cord is compressed and formed persistent swelling.
With the development of tuberculous spondylitis are three forms of the following steps:
- Prespondiliticheskaya (the beginning of the formation of foci of disease in the body of vertebrae);
- Spondiliticheskaya (during the progress of the disease);
- Postspondiliticheskaya (period of remission of inflammation and the formation of severe complications - fistula formation).
The modern medical approach to the treatment of all types of spondylitis (ankylosing, reactive, aseptic spondylitis and so on.) Provides for a combination of comprehensive measures, including the following:
1. The use of drugs. For the treatment of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory spondylitis used drugs, the main effect of which is aimed at reducing feeling stiff spine and pain relief. Unfortunately, most of these drugs has a long list of contraindications and side effects, one of which - severe disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. If the effect of the treatment of spondylitis these drugs is not appointed the basic tools used in the treatment of arthritis - corticosteroids, methotrexate.
2. Physical therapeutic exercise. Regular training exercise wellness experts attribute to the basic treatment of spondylitis. Stronger, and most importantly, the right kind, exercise the affected spondylitis spine allows us not only to maintain its flexibility and mobility, but also to correct incorrect posture, to avoid the possibility of severe complications.
3. Thermotherapy (warm). Soak the affected spondylitis joints and muscle tissue effectively reduces the feeling of pain and stiffness. The use of hot tubs is a reflex relaxation of muscles that without the use of painkillers successful in helping to stop the pain.
4. For the treatment of spondylitis in particularly severe stage resort to surgery.