Cancer of the oral cavity
Brief description of the disease
Oral cancer - a malignant tumor that affects the mucous membrane of the mouth, tongue, larynx. What distinguishes this type of tumor from many others - the ability to detect it in its earliest stages and begin treatment immediately. However, not all pay attention to the primary symptoms, and eventually the tumor spreads further and further, and treatment is becoming more and more difficult. This is the proof: 90% of deaths from oral cancer could survive if we turn for help. Despite the fact that oral cancer is diagnosed well in the US, he came in first place in the number of cases.
Causes of oral cancer
It is believed that cancer of the oral mucosa occurs due to prolonged smoking and alcohol consumption, and indeed it is! But there are many other factors that encourage tumor growth, for example:
- Mechanical injury of the mouth;
- Malnutrition and lack of vitamin A;
- Eating very hot and spicy foods;
- Smokeless tobacco mixtures such as nasvay.
Recently, it was found that human papillomavirus (which causes cervical cancer in women) also played a significant role in the occurrence of cancer of the oral mucosa. This virus is transmitted only through sexual contact.
Symptoms of oral cancer
Oral cancer can begin with a small but dolgozazhivayuschey cold at bay. The cavity can be seen as ulcers, erosions, white and red spots, growths. Noticed at least one of these signs? Urgent please contact your dentist to determine whether it is a sign of oral cancer.
Initial symptoms of oral cancer can be hidden from our eyes, but the inner feeling discomfort, you can install them. For example, sharply inflamed lymph node, or you notice a change in his voice. This is exactly how to begin oral cancer.
To distinguish the three phases of the development of symptoms of oral cancer:
- The initial phase of cancer of the oral cavity. There are unusual sensations in the area of the fire. The pain is almost not felt. There is a seal of mucous, sores, white patches.
- The advanced stage of oral cancer. It appears yarkovyrazhenny ulcer or papillary tumor. The pain is worse. At this stage, most people go to hospital.
- Launched phase of oral cancer. The tumor becomes extremely dangerous and aggressive, rapidly spreading to other tissues, increases in size, causing severe pain.
Treatment of oral cancer
When cancer of the oral mucosa has traditionally used three types of treatment: radiation therapy, chemotherapy, surgery. In each case, the choice will depend on the general condition of the patient, the size and development stage of oral cancer.
- Before radiotherapy is mandatory when testing the function of the thyroid gland. If the treatment of oral cancer radiation permitted, then the patient is placed in a special chamber, where the tumor is irradiated. Cancer cells are more sensitive than normal tissue cells, so they quickly die. Among the side effects - radiation burns the face, sore throat, voice changes, and others.
- Surgically removed localized tumors usually do not grow into nearby organs. But if the tumor is too far, then surgery may have unpleasant consequences for the patient: sometimes surgeons removed some organs to reach the tumor. For the most part, distant organs can be replaced by dentures.
- The essence of chemotherapy to suppress chemotherapy using cancer cells activity. Dose assigned physician, and depends on the phase of the tumor and its size. Drugs are administered into the bloodstream, so they act not only on oral cancer, but also on healthy cells. This is why chemotherapy is observed the whole list of negative consequences. Among them, weakened immunity, hair loss, diarrhea, vomiting, and a number of other side effects.
Preventing oral cancer
- Regular examination by a dentist - the guarantee of health not only your teeth, but also the prevention of oral cancer. Also regularly inspect the larynx, tongue and sides of yourself.
- Use sunscreen for the lips with a degree of protection of at least 20 units.
- Try to maintain a healthy lifestyle, ie exclude items from their schedules, "smoke" and "drink with friends."
- Safe Sex guarantee you protection against many diseases, including oral cancer. Exclude casual relationships, especially without contraception. HPV does not sleep.