Brief description of the disease
Under muscle atrophy refers to the process that leads to a decrease in volume and degeneration of muscle tissue. Simply put, the muscle fibers begin to thin, and in some cases completely disappear, which leads to a serious restriction of motor activity and prolonged immobility of the patient.
In medical practice, there are several types of atrophy, but they will be discussed below, and is a closer look at the reasons for the appearance of this pathology. Atrophy of the muscles of the legs and other limbs of the body is due to:
- reduction of metabolism and aging;
- chronic diseases of endocrine glands, intestines, stomach, connective tissue;
- infectious and parasitic diseases;
- disorders of the nervous regulation of muscle tone associated with poisoning, polyneuritis, and other factors;
- congenital or acquired deficiency of enzymes.
Muscle atrophy - symptoms and clinical picture
The primary form of the disease is expressed in direct lesions of the muscles. This pathology can be caused by a bad heredity, and a number of external factors - injuries, bruises, physical overexertion. The patient gets tired quickly, muscle tone is constantly falling, sometimes marked involuntary jerking of the limbs, which indicates damage to motor neurons.
Secondary muscle atrophy - Treatment is based on addressing the underlying disease and other causes that give rise to atrophic process. The most common secondary muscle atrophy develops after injury and infection. Patients affected motor cells of feet, legs, hands and forearms, which leads to restriction of the activity of these organs, partial or complete paralysis. In most cases, the disease is characterized by a slow process, but possible aggravation, accompanied by severe pain.
The secondary form of the disease is divided into several types:
- neural miotrofiya - in this case, muscle atrophy associated with the deformation of the feet and legs. In patients with disturbed gait, it takes on the character steppage gait when walking man raises high knees. Over time, reflexes stop completely extinguished, and the disease spreads to other limbs;
- progressive muscle atrophy - symptoms, usually in childhood. The disease runs hard, accompanied by a sharp hypotension, loss of tendon reflexes and twitching limbs;
- muscle atrophy Aran-Duchenne - mostly localized in parts of the upper limbs. Patients interosseous muscle atrophy and fingers. Hand takes the form of "monkey hand". The sensitivity of the limbs remains, but tendon reflexes disappear completely. The process of atrophy progresses steadily and eventually affect the muscles of the neck and trunk.
The main feature of all types of atrophy is a decrease in damaged muscle. This is especially noticeable when compared to paired organs healthy side. Also, muscle atrophy, symptoms of which depend on the severity of the process, always leads to a decrease in muscle tone and is accompanied by pain on palpation of the limbs.
Muscle atrophy - Treatment of diseases
Selection methods of treatment depends on many factors, including the form of disease, and severity of the patient's age. Drug treatment involve administration of drugs such as adenosine triphosphate disodium salt (30 intramuscular injection), vitamins B1, B12, and E, galantamine (10-15 injections s.c.) and Neostigmine (oral or subcutaneous injection).
Are also important: the choice of proper nutrition, physical therapy, massage, physiotherapy, electrotherapy, psychotherapy and spiritual practices. If muscle atrophy leads to a lag in terms of the child's intellectual development, he administered neuropsychological sessions are designed to smooth out the problems in communication and new knowledge.
It is worth noting that at this time the doctors there is no drug that is capable of guaranteed cure muscle atrophy legs and other extremities. However, the correctly chosen method can significantly slow down the process of atrophy, increases the regeneration of muscle fibers, man returns lost opportunities. To do this, you must carefully follow the advice of the doctor, to perform all scheduled medical procedures and, most importantly, do not lose heart, because to live in harmony with the world can be in any, even the most severe disease.