What is hypochondria
Hypochondria - a condition where a person shows a constant concern over the possible ill, complaining or concerned about their physical health, it takes its unpleasant sensations as abnormal and suggests that in addition to the underlying disease is sick with something else.
People with hypochondria see the symptoms of serious illnesses in minor health problems or even in the normal functioning of the body. This man can not control the symptoms associated with hypochondria, which may interfere with his normal life and cause serious distress (stress due to the expression of negative emotions).
Most susceptible to this somatoform disorders young people, but on the development of hypochondria are not insured and the representatives of other age groups.
In the development of the disorder may be involved such factors as:
- physical or sexual violence in the past;
- suffered by a child serious disease;
- susceptibility to disease congenital nature;
- inability to express emotions;
- the presence of hypochondria among close relatives - there is a painful learning of behavior from childhood.
In addition to the emergence of the state have such personality traits as suspiciousness, anxiety or depression.
The symptoms of hypochondria
People with hypochondria are concerned about his alleged physical illness, but they do not lie and do not fake their symptoms, they really believe that they are ill.
A warning symptoms of hypochondria include:
- The rich history of medical visits. Very often these patients are suspicious looking "appropriate" doctor who will agree with the presence of serious diseases.
- Recently experienced a stressful event or loss.
- Excessive concern specific system or organ of the body.
- Displacement or modification of the physical symptoms of the disease.
- Persistent fears of people who do not reduce even the doctor assured of his good health.
- Man suffers nervousness, anxiety or depression.
- Concerns about the physical state of the port family relationships, interfere with work and social life.
The symptoms of hypochondria usually notice the people around, because the patient is convinced that his problem is therapeutic diseases. Most often hypochondriacs complain of problems related to the gastrointestinal tract, sexual organs, heart, brain.
Treatment of hypochondria
In the case of diagnosis of hypochondria comprehensively apply the following treatments:
- Supportive therapy. This method of treating hypochondria is in regular contact with the doctor the person whom he trusts. As part of this relationship doctor focuses on the support and belief of man, but at the same time monitors the changes in the physical state not to miss the development of a real disease.
- Psychotherapy. This method of treatment of hypochondriasis is advisory in nature and aimed at changing behavior and ways of thinking that led to the occurrence of the disorder. Psychotherapy can help to improve the working and social functioning of man, as well as to cope with stress. Application of this method of treatment is complicated by the fact that hypochondriacs tend to deny that they have mental or emotional problems.
- medications. If hypochondriasis accompanied by mood swings or increased anxiety, it is appropriate prescription of antidepressants or anxiolytics (anti-anxiety agents).
In most cases, the question of how to get rid of hypochondria, concern is the so-called relatives of the patient, so they play an important role in persuading the person that he really needs psychological help.
The dangerous hypochondria
This somatoform disorder brings a person a lot of problems, ranging from physical and mental discomfort, ending with a large bill for unnecessary medical services.
Hypochondria is a condition that can last for years, or even an effective treatment does not guarantee that the symptoms will not return.
One hundred percent way to prevent hypochondria does not exist, but the understanding and support of loved ones can help adapt to the disorder and reduce the severity of its symptoms.