The pathological condition in which a person feels an unconditional increase in mood, mental and ideational excitement as tahipsii and motor stimulation, called mania. The characteristic features of the state, however, not all cases are the following symptoms:
- Strengthening instinctive activity - increased appetite, sexual desire, self-protection reflex;
- Increased distractibility.
There are the following varieties of mania:
- Manic-paranoid - the patient has delusions about the relationship with the opposite sex, he is able to pursue the object of his passion;
- Oneiric mania - at the height of the syndrome is manifested by impairment of consciousness oneiric type, accompanied by hallucinations;
- Delusional option - megalomania, usually manifested in delusions, having a certain logical sequence relating to the professional activity of the patient;
- Joyful mania - in addition to the classic symptoms of mania observed motor excitation, and tahipsihiya hyperthymia;
- Anger mania - usually manifests a tendency to sudden aggression, irritability, short temper and conflict with others.
For the diagnosis of mania used Altman scale, or the so-called test mania.
Often, the condition is a result of bipolar disorder, paroxysmal flows with characteristic stages of development and with different symptoms, varies depending on the stage of disease progression.
Also cause mania can be infectious, organic and toxic psychosis, it can induce drug and some drugs, that among these are:
Symptoms of mania
It may be noted that people with mania are often in a state of painful improve mood, coupled with unfounded optimism, excessive talkativeness and physical activity. Patients greatly overestimate their abilities, their self-esteem sometimes reaches megalomania, they tend to take on a lot of cases, however, due to increased distractibility, to the end did not bring.
The worsening of memory and speed of thinking, too, are manifestations of mania, as well as a commitment to continuous networking and expanding the circle of friends. Most often, patients commit thoughtless and totally nonsense to spend large sums of money that a normal person would not dream of acquiring. In many cases, mania manifested by increased sexuality, and women may be changes in the menstrual cycle (delay or shift).
At the peak of the state with such patients it is impossible to communicate, since their conflict, tactless and irritability become unbearable. People suffering from mania, do not tolerate comments and objections, seeking to lead any process, and their orders are often quite ridiculous. If the patient feels the resistance from the people around them his plans, becomes aggressive, capable of venturing fights and quarrels.
Manic Syndrome: Diagnosis
In the diagnosis of mania used clinical method, the main place in which occupies an objective observation of the behavior of the patient and the detailed questioning. On the basis of observation and dialogue with the patient, as well as by examining the medical records and interviews with relatives of the patient, the doctor creates a subjective clinical history and reveals facts that determine the psychological state of the patient.
The purpose of the diagnosis of mania, in particular, the anamnesis is to obtain reliable data on:
- The presence of family relatives with mental illness;
- Mental status;
- Features of development, family and social status, behavior, trauma, and reactions to various situations in life.
The emphasis in the collection of medical history, the doctor has to pay for the following risk factors:
- Stressful life circumstances change;
- Affective disorders in the family history and the past of the patient;
- Suicide attempts;
- Drug addiction or alcoholism;
- Chronic physical illness.
Additionally, the diagnosis of mania conducted biochemical and clinical blood tests.
Once the diagnosis is confirmed, the doctor, depending on the condition of the patient, prescribe any medication, psychotherapy or a conversation. If the patient is accompanied by groundless aggression, irritability, conflict, disturbances of sleep - you need hospital treatment of mania. In such cases, the limit is shown mental and physical activity of the patient, and the appointment of sedatives, tranquilizers or neuroleptics.
It should pay special attention to situations in which a man is not how it is in the conditioned state of elevated mood, motor, mental or tsiatornom excited. Especially if these people show delusions of grandeur and persecution, obsessions and increased distractibility.
Treatment of mania may be medical and proceed in a hospital, or take the form of psychotherapeutic interviews, the purpose of which is to identify the reasons for the development of the disease, as well as the correction of existing manifestations of the syndrome.