Excess iron - this is a very serious and common problem caused by the presence of excessive iron in the body.
It is one of the most common chemical elements in nature and naturally essential trace element for human body. The human body contains approximately 3, 4, 5, 5 grams of iron. Levels are 2/3, 1/3 - liver, bone marrow, muscle, and spleen.
The iron in our body performs many functions:
- It supports the immune system;
- involved in the transport of oxygen throughout the body;
- It enters the body neutralizes toxic substances;
- enzymes involved in the formation and red blood cells;
- It supports the synthesis of thyroid hormones;
- important for the good condition of the skin, hair and nails;
- participates in the regeneration process in the body.
To assimilated iron, it needs a good secretion of gastric juice. Also contribute to the absorption of iron amino acids (lysine and histidine), simple carbohydrates (sorbitol, fructose, lactose), organic acids and vitamin C prevents the absorption of iron milk and dairy products, calcium, soy protein, fiber from bran phytin and some components of coffee and tea.
The excess iron in the body is extremely dangerous! Iron accumulates mostly in the heart muscle, pancreas and liver, and this has a negative effect on these organs. If the iron overload is not treated, can develop diseases such as:
- cancer poisoned bodies;
- severe diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- diseases of the nervous system;
- arthritis and other joint diseases;
- cirrhosis, hepatitis.
The causes of excess body iron
Factors that lead to an excess of iron in the body:
- The iron content in drinking water;
- Oxygen starvation caused by a large number of exhaust gas in the cities. In the body, the lack of oxygen is compensated by an increase in the production of hemoglobin;
- Admission to the large amount or long iron supplementation;
- Transferring multiple blood transfusions;
- The presence in the organism of a gene that causes the body to accumulate iron (also called "gene Celts' because, basically, its presence is observed in inhabitants of Scandinavia). It is present in 15% of the people, but most are dormant.
The daily dose of iron is very approximate. Assimilation of this trace element is increasingly dependent on the state of the body, to determine which should be done blood tests. Approximate daily rate of iron
for women is 18 mg for men - 10 mg. The highest is the daily rate of iron in pregnant women during the second half of pregnancy - 33 mg.
Symptoms of excess iron
Symptoms of excess iron:
- coloration in the yellow hue of the skin, tongue, palate and sclera;
- liver enlargement in size;
- irregular heartbeat;
- poor general condition;
- pigmentation on the palms and places of old scars in the armpits.
The excess iron in the body is also complicated flow of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Even if you have symptoms of excess iron, to determine the exact diagnosis is possible only after the biochemical analysis of blood.
Treatment of excess iron
The most common, but the most effective method of adjusting the level of iron in the body - proper nutrition. It is important to remember that a lot of iron (more than 1 mg per 100 g) in water-melons, cranberry, melons, sprouts, sweet peppers, radishes, radish, beets, tomatoes, Jerusalem artichoke, spinach (3 mg) and sorrel ( to 2 mg). In other vegetables contain 0, 4 and 0, 9 mg of trace elements.
Those who have too much iron in the body, requires a special approach. You have to be careful even in small things. For example, one can use even ordinary ascorbic acid, because it can increase the absorption of iron in the body.
Also for the treatment of excess iron is used bloodletting (phlebotomy), and donation.