Constipation is called a violation of the evacuation of feces from the body. If constipation is more rare than it should, and incomplete emptying of the bowel. Constipation can be an independent pathology, but sometimes it is indicative of disease of the gastrointestinal tract.
Constipation in adults - the most frequent violation of the gastrointestinal tract, which in varying degrees, faced more than half of people in older age - about 75%, but suffer from constipation and children.
Constipation can be an isolated case relating to the changed conditions of receipt of food and stressful situation for the body, but more often to the doctor treat chronic constipation, when problems with the bowel movement there regularly, appearing from time to time, or even permanent. Chronic constipation is a serious problem that requires medical care, as otherwise the body is always in the mode of self-poisoning is not the excretion of toxic substances, which is fraught with very serious consequences.
Causes of constipation
The causes of constipation can be set by food intake, poor dietary fibers, to severe cancer. Constipation can cause a failure anywhere on the promotion of food through the gastrointestinal tract and nervous regulation of the process and the act of defecation.
There are the most common causes of constipation, which include:
- an unbalanced diet, in particular, food refined, processed foods deficient plant fibers;
- sedentary lifestyle that affects the development of stagnation in the pelvis and a slowdown in the evacuation of intestinal contents due to the slackness of muscles;
- exposure to stress and the lack of an orderly rhythm of life;
- abuse of drugs, including laxatives;
- with common diseases.
The latter group includes a plurality of diseases in which constipation is a characteristic feature. It may be spinal cord diseases, diabetes, colon cancer, systemic autoimmune disease, hemorrhoids and intestinal injury and anus.
The cause of constipation more often episodic loss of livelihoods or food, for example, while traveling.
Symptoms of constipation
Symptoms of constipation include:
- a feeling of heaviness and bloating;
- defecation requires muscular effort;
- too thick and dry feces, feces in the form of pellets;
- even after defecation feeling inadequate bowel movement;
In addition to these core symptoms of constipation, chronic constipation may show signs of dyspepsia: loss of appetite, indigestion, nausea, abdominal pain, flatulence. In chronic constipation occurs intoxication that is manifested a general deterioration of health: reducing tone, fatigue, malaise, irritability, insomnia, headaches.
With regard to the period during which we can confidently diagnose constipation, then there is no single criterion, since the frequency of bowel movements each person individually. Defecation is the norm, occurring three times a day to three times a week, provided a soft chair and wellness. The medical literature is mentioned that a small group of people is a normal defecation no more than once per week, which must also be considered. Therefore, constipation one person may be considered a delay of defecation in the day, the other - for three, and the third - for the week.
The diagnosis of constipation is not difficult, and is placed on the basis of complaints of the patient on the characteristic symptoms of constipation. It is more difficult to establish the cause of constipation. Usually conduct laboratory studies of blood, urine and feces, including fecal bacteria content in order to identify dysbiosis, and then examine the intestines by means of ultrasound or X-ray methods. You may need a colonoscopy or retromanoskopiya. If you suspect a disease of the gastrointestinal tract, the symptoms of which appeared to constipation, to conduct a full examination of gastroenterology.
Treatment of constipation
Treatment occasional constipation in an adult human comprising administering a purgative, preferably a mild laxative of vegetable origin. Also as the therapeutic agent of the enema can be done liters of water at room temperature.
Treatment of chronic constipation is never carried out by means of drugs or enemas, as they are addictive, and thereafter emptying the bowel without these means would be difficult. In short, long-term use, they only exacerbate the existing problem. If there are serious disturbances in the body, such as a tumor or inflammation of the colon, medications can lead to a sharp deterioration in health, so that the required emergency hospitalization.
The main therapeutic measures for chronic constipation are as follows:
- identification of the causes of constipation and its elimination;
- balanced diet that includes sufficient roughage contained in flour, meal, raw fruits and vegetables. To prevent constipation is also good to eat every day a handful of dried fruit;
- normalization of life. It is much more effective defecation occurs when there is a daily routine. The body "gets used to" withdraw excrement at a certain time. It is also beneficial to the whole process of digestion, including the removal of waste affects the habit to eat at the same time;
- drinking regime. Sometimes the cause of constipation is a chronic dehydration. Receiving enough water helps proper bowel habits;
- refusal of medication, causing a tendency to constipation;
- increasing physical activity. If you have a tendency to constipation because of sedentary lifestyle, you need to eliminate this factor. Try to walk more in the fresh air, playing outdoor games. Very well it helps with constipation yoga, in particular, a series of exercises called Schank - Prakshalana that are directly aimed at the stimulation of defecation;
- abstinence from alcohol. Alcohol can cause constipation, as the use of alcohol causes dehydration. In chronic constipation alcohol is contraindicated.