Allergies in pregnancy
Allergy - hypersensitivity to certain environmental factors (allergens). An allergy is not a disease and response of the immune system to a substance taken into the body. Common symptoms of an allergic reaction can be rhinitis, lacrimation, dyspnea, and bronchospasm, skin rashes and blemishes, headaches and others. Allergies in pregnancy characterized by the same symptoms. Predisposition to allergic reactions, hypersensitivity of the body are not subject to medical correction. In exacerbations of allergic reactions symptomatic treatment is used, selects the attending physician in each individual case.
Allergy Pregnancy: General Information
Allergies in pregnancy occurs in approximately 35% of women have never been observed hypersensitivity reactions to substances before the moment of conception. In some cases, allergic reactions interpreted as early signs of pregnancy.
Generally, allergies in pregnancy has no effect on fetal development (antigens and antibodies can not penetrate through the placenta) and during the pregnancy itself, however, can significantly worsen the condition of women. Some manifestations of allergic reactions may still have a negative impact on the fetus. For example, bronchial asthma may develop fetal hypoxia.
Allergic reactions during pregnancy may develop as a result of a powerful hormonal changes the body, which is usually normalized to 12-14 weeks of pregnancy.
When signs of allergy in pregnant women is not recommended to take any measures aimed at addressing the symptoms, even if the pre-pregnancy drugs and folk treatments were well tolerated by the body.
There are 4 types of allergies during pregnancy:
- Pregnancy triggers an allergic reaction the first - in this case, as soon as possible address to the allergist for allergy testing and avoid contact with allergens;
- Pregnancy does not affect the course of allergy - in such situations also need to consult an allergist, who will give advice on the use of drugs;
- Pregnancy aggravates allergy symptoms - extremely rare cases, require immediate treatment to the doctor for the normalization of the pregnant woman;
- Pregnancy improves allergy symptoms - during pregnancy in a woman's body increases production of the hormone cortisol, which has anti-allergic effect, which explains easier for allergic reactions during pregnancy.
Seasonal allergies during pregnancy: symptoms, prevention methods
Seasonal allergies during pregnancy requires careful medical supervision. If a woman is before pregnancy suffered allergic reactions, there is a great likelihood that during pregnancy the allergen from entering the body and cause an allergic reaction. Knowing what allergens cause seasonal allergies, pregnancy can be easy to prevent the manifestation of allergic reactions. So, if there is an allergy to pollen, flowering of certain plants, then the doctors recommend besides allergy medications to limit exposure to allergens in the body:
- Exclude visiting places with a high concentration of pollen in the air (gardens, parks, garden plots, a trip out of town);
- Avoid contact with substances that contain allergens;
- Most wet cleaning in the house;
- Exclude penetration of allergens into the house, zaveshivaya moist gauze windows and vents in the winding, remove carpets, curtains, stuffed toys, collecting dust.
If seasonal allergies manifested for 1-2 months, when planning pregnancy is recommended to exclude the possibility of allergic period.
While seasonal allergies during pregnancy is necessary to observe the rules of personal hygiene, which significantly help to relieve the symptoms: nasal lavage and eyes, purging the nostrils.
Allergies in pregnancy: treatment guidelines for prevention
Allergies in pregnancy complicated by the fact that not all allergy (antihistamines), drugs are permitted. During allergy in pregnancy must be treated under the supervision of an allergist and gynecologist. If the allergy manifested during pregnancy for the first time, initially should identify the allergens that cause reactions. After determining the allergens is necessary to analyze the situation and to avoid exposure to allergens on a pregnant woman. The most common allergic reactions are to certain foods, cosmetics, household chemicals.
If there is an allergy in pregnancy, treatment with topical and should only be undertaken in consultation with the attending physician.
So, to reduce the expression of several symptoms and alleviate allergies during pregnancy vitamins help:
- Vitamin C helps to minimize respiratory allergy attacks, and prevent the occurrence of anaphylactic reactions;
- Vitamin B12 is a natural antihistamine that reduces the symptoms of asthma, dermatitis, sensitivity to sulfites;
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) helps to cope with allergic rhinitis;
- Vitamin PP (nicotinamide) facilitates the attacks of allergy to pollen;
- Zinc reduces the manifestation of reactions to allergens contained in household products, cosmetics, perfumes;
- Fish oil, linoleic acid prevents the development of inflammatory processes against allergic reactions.
It should be remembered that vitamins can also act as allergens. Before taking extra vitamins during pregnancy allergy treatment must also agree with your doctor.
Tablets from allergies during pregnancy: use, contraindications
During allergy in pregnant women are advised to abstain from taking of drugs. If allergies during pregnancy is associated with mild symptoms, it can help them cope with the exclusion of direct exposure to the allergen. Severe symptoms (nasal swelling, asthma, which entails the likelihood of fetal hypoxia) should consult a doctor who will prescribe anti-allergy pills during pregnancy. So, the popular medication for allergic reactions Diphenhydramine can cause uterine contractions, and drug Tavegil adversely affects fetal development.
Taking pills from allergies during pregnancy, you should constantly monitor their effectiveness. In the treatment of allergy medication medications taken during pregnancy, doses should be minimal. Term use of the drug should be as short as possible. Choosing antiallergic drug is better to prefer proven drugs, rather than just hit the market.