Agoraphobia - Panic fear of open spaces.
the term meant the fear of the market, the market square (usually the largest square in the city), is constantly crowded. In today's world agoraphobia a person that goes beyond their home or apartment, may cause:
- Public places (shops, markets, cinemas, shopping centers);
- Travel on public transport (especially the metro);
- Designated public events (meetings, events, meeting);
- Designated outdoor recreation (parks, forest parks, open water).
In fact, agoraphobia - a fear of not being in front of an open space or by the accumulation of people, and the fear of getting into a situation in which anything from you does not depend, to feel utter helplessness and hopelessness of their situation. It frightens not only the immediate presence in such places, but even the thought of the possibility to be in this situation is a panic attack.
Agoraphobia usually begins around the age of 20-30 years. According to statistics, women are twice as many men exposed to this mental disorder.
You should know that agoraphobia has no effect on intellectual abilities and physical health in its normal state.
Specific causes of agoraphobia is almost impossible to determine. Scientists, many years studying this problem, can not come to a consensus. But there are several factors that can trigger a manifestation of agoraphobia:
- Any hard psychological situation in which the person is away from home (drunken brawl, a car crash, a terrorist attack), creates a false stereotype that out to be life threatening;
- A variety of psychological personality disorders such as social phobia, panic attacks, panic disorder;
- Problems with spatial orientation when in a crowd or in the open person loses orientation and begins to feel fear;
- The rich and uncontrolled imagination, heightened emotionality, social vulnerability.
It is believed that the cause of agoraphobia can be a set of physical and psychological factors.
The symptoms of agoraphobia
stress occurs when uncontrolled seizures fear, is immediately reflected in the work of the internal organs, causing a spasm of blood vessels, the body's muscles, diaphragm, colon, stomach, and bronchial tubes. In order to ensure the blood squeezed voltage body, the heart is required to increase the number of cuts. That is why the fear or anxiety accompanied by palpitations. Accordingly, the following basic symptoms of agoraphobia:
- Uncontrolled panic lasting 10 minutes or more;
- Rapid heart rate, respiration, pulse;
- Loss of control over their own actions;
- Heavy sweating, uncontrollable shaking of the body;
- Sharp adrenaline in the blood;
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- Dizziness, tinnitus, lightheadedness;
- Unmotivated fear of death.
Agoraphobia Treatment carried out by two main methods, mainly used in combination:
- Special drugs (tranquilizers and anti-depressants);
- Certain types of psychotherapy (including hypnosis).
Referring time a qualified specialist, you must be patient and exactly follow all its recommendations. The healing process quite long, but the result is worth the time for him.
If agoraphobia is not treated, significantly increases the risk of anxiety disorders, depression, drug addiction or alcoholism.
Agoraphobia - a serious psychological problem of modern society. Generation of children growing up, growing the monitors, laptops, tablets. For them, the usual safe world is on the other side of the screen, and the windows of the apartment a strange world, aggressive and hostile. Preference is given to contactless communication via Skype, social networks, chat rooms and ICQ. Food, clothing, household appliances are available through online stores with home delivery. More and more people prefer to work at home via the Internet. All this minimizes the need to go beyond property and may be a major prerequisite to the development of mass agoraphobia in the future.