Talk, talk, and will say - you need to visit a dentist not because he is already ill, and to prevent disease. Unfortunately, we neglect their health, sometimes consciously putting yourself on the fine line between life and death.
Description of the disease abscess do not we start with the traditional definition. Periostitis - especially in the later stages - is a disease that requires urgent operational assistance to the dentist, and in some cases and maxillofacial surgeon. If time is not performed the autopsy abscess or pus evacuated, the inflammatory process, penetrate into the bloodstream can lead to sepsis (general blood poisoning) and death. These are the realities that we neglect.
Periostitis (people's everyday definition - flux) - inflammation of the periosteum. It is characterized by a progressive transition from inflammation of the outer layer to the other layers of the bone (osteoperiostit).
The etiology of periodontitis
In dentistry, as well as elsewhere, all inflammatory processes typically interconnected and often overgrow one another. By periodontitis lead:
- the effects of inflammatory diseases of the teeth - running the pulp or periodontal abscess can go to the jaw and a tooth abscess provoke finished the cure tooth decay;
- soft tissue injuries or open fractures of the jaw;
- of infection through the lymphatic and circulatory systems. This is common, often to childhood, such as tonsillitis and others. Infectious diseases
- complications after tooth extraction as a result of cold or sore throat, flu, etc. They can also provoke a jaw abscess.
Characteristic symptoms of periodontitis
The first sign of the disease is a small swelling of the gums. Further, there is an increase swelling, and with it, increased pain.
The next stage, which is accompanied by acute abscess - an abscess (purulent inflammation of tissue), which is the main cause of facial edema. For periodontitis in the upper jaw is characteristic swelling in suborbital area of the lower jaw - swelling of the submandibular region. The body temperature rises to 38 °, the pain spreads to the temple, eyes and ears.
In some cases, accompanied by the appearance of the jaw abscess fistula motion through which the pus comes out. Periostitis in a dangerous manifestation of the fact that the pain subsides, and it can cause the patient to ignore the campaign to the doctor. That, in turn, leads to the development of chronic periodontitis. Time has not stopped the infection spreads to the surrounding tissue and subsequently expressed in the form of ulcers or osteomyelitis.
Classification of periodontitis
- Simple abscess - aseptic inflammation, accompanied by hyperemia, slight thickening and infiltration of the periosteum. Usually occurs after strokes, fractures, injuries (traumatic periostitis). Pain and swelling of the local. Inflammation goes alone. However, sometimes it may lead to the development of osteophytes (bony outgrowths on fabric), occurrence of fibrous growths, i.e. go to periostitis ossificans
- Periostitis ossificans - a form of chronic inflammation of the periosteum, while developing long-term irritation of the periosteum. Characterized by the formation of the inner layer of the periosteum of new bone. The process is accompanied by inflammation of the surrounding tissue.
- Fibrous abscess - when the gradual development proceeds chronically. It arises due to prolonged mechanical irritation. The development of fibrous tissue may result in surface damage bone.
- Purulent abscess - is usually the result of infection with the wounds of the periosteum. It is accompanied by a purulent osteomyelitis. In a state of neglect leads to necrosis of the bone surface and peel off the periosteum. The process can stay in their own development (breakthrough of pus), or go to the surrounding tissue
- Serous albumniozny abscess - an inflammation periosteum accompanied by the formation of exudate. If the exudate as cysts under the periosteum, its peeling occurs and gradual necrosis of the bone. The development of this form of the disease can be either acute or chronic.
Treatment of periodontitis
Depending on how the abscess occurs, treatment is carried out by two methods - conservative and operative. Using any of the methods is due to the severity of the disease, its shape and development. If a tooth abscess is associated with an inflammatory process, the most optimal - surgery. Dentists incision of the affected area, injected drainage for drainage of pus. In the case where an acute abscess is caused by a sick tooth, the tooth is removed.
In addition to these actions the patient should receive antibiotics and painkillers, physiotherapy course. Pain in the area of inflammation is also removed and a cold compress.
Periostitis, treatment time is carried out efficiently and correctly, as a rule, does not give side effects. Full recovery occurs within a week (7 days).
Prevention of periodontitis
Warning periostitis of the jaw is carried by the same means and methods, as well as prevention of dental diseases. Preventive measures include: oral care, drinking water and food rich in vitamins and others. Minerals. In addition, you must promptly initiate and follow up the treatment of dental diseases, such as caries or pulpitis.
Do not forget the most important thing - the systematic visiting and dental checkups that time to notice and prevent the development of disease.