Brief description of the disease
How to treat heel spur? This issue is relevant for hundreds of thousands of people since the disease can occur in any person at any age. It is characterized by sharp, sometimes unbearable pain by relying on the heel. Many patients say that heel spurs - it's like a nail that does not give them no rest, day or night. And that is why the researchers from different countries have been working tirelessly to develop new drugs and techniques that could relieve patients from terrible torment.
As for the disease itself. Heel spur a change in the soft tissues, resulting in bone growths appear in the plantar surface of the heel. The build-up (often referred to as spikes) are of different sizes. However, the intensity of pain is not dependent on it. It often happens that large spikes hardly felt, but small growths turn human life into hell.
Causes of heel spurs
In most cases, heel spurs develop on the background of flatfoot. The fact is that for flat substantially changing the load distribution on the foot and re-tension tendon. As a result, in the region of the foot begin to form the surface layer of the inflammatory processes in bone tissue. So it appears heel spurs, whose symptoms significantly reduce quality of life. In addition to flat feet, the causes of the disease may include: metabolic disorders, acute and chronic heel injury, improper functioning of the circulatory system, poor permeability of blood vessels, as well as some chronic inflammatory diseases - arthritis, arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis.
Whatever the cause, the treatment of heel spurs should begin as soon as possible. When the main efforts of the doctors focused on addressing the underlying factors causing the development of inflammation. We also note that in recent years, fashionable folk treatment of heel spurs do not solve the problem of acute pain. Of course, people means capable of time to reduce the intensity of pain, but they do not eliminate the causes of their appearance, so the fate of the surgeon or podiatrist during treatment is mandatory.
Heel spur - symptoms and clinical picture
As mentioned above, the main symptom of heel spurs is a severe pain in the heel area, which manifests itself in almost any load on the leg. At first, the pain may subside by mid-day, but then it becomes a constant, tormenting the patient at any time. For this reason, many people diagnosed with heel spurs move with crutches to somehow reduce the load on the heel.
Heel spur - traditional methods of treatment
When choosing a method of treatment of inflammation, doctors take into account a variety of factors, including the cause of the disease. They usually stop at the conservative treatment of heel spurs, includes:
- massage and physiotherapy aimed at normalization of the circulatory system;
- ultrasound, ultraviolet irradiation, laser therapy, electrophoresis, magnetic therapy and other physical therapy;
- reducing the burden on the inflamed area, which used orthotics, shoes and crutches;
- shock wave therapy - a new and quite effective method of treatment, but it is assigned is not all, since SWT can lead to all sorts of complications.
If conservative treatment of heel spurs do not lead to the expected results, the patient is prescribed dosage blockade. This procedure consists in the introduction of anti-inflammatory drugs, but it has to carry out only an experienced specialist as needed to accurately determine the amount of drugs, and the location and depth of their introduction. If done correctly, the symptoms of heel spurs disappear for a few years, but in the case of an error may be a manifestation of various complications such as suppuration at the injection site, the destruction of fascia and soft tissue necrosis.
In the later stages of the heel spur is treated with surgery. Indications to it are limited, due to the high risk and dire consequences, but in some situations surgery is really the only way out.
Heel spur - Treatment folk remedies
Traditional recipes are designed for long-term use, so their effect is evident in 3-6 weeks after beginning treatment. And in any case, you should consult with your doctor to national treatment of heel spurs do not lead to more pain. With regard to recommended procedures, the most effective ones we listed below:
- twist the flagellum of birch bark, give it the shape of pretzels, bandage wrap, and place in the shoe so that the heel fell exactly in the resulting hole. This will reduce the burden on the inflamed area;
- do a warm foot bath before going to bed - for their preparation using 0, 5 liters of water with a glass of urine. Duration of procedure - 15-30 minutes. After graduation, it is better not to wipe his feet, and allow to dry, then put on warm socks and go to bed. Also, the trays can be used for strong saline (2-3 tablespoons of salt to 1 liter of water), but in this case, the procedure lasted for 30-40 minutes;
- attach to the patient place a slice of bacon and secure this kind of compression with a bandage. Instead of lard, you can use raw potatoes;
- black radish rub on a small grater and apply the resulting slurry to spur every day for a night of rest. In this case, the national treatment of heel spurs will bear fruit after 3-4 sessions. At least abate acute pain, which is very important for people who sometimes can not sleep because of the pain in the heel area.