Brief description of the disease
Mesothelioma - is an extremely dangerous type of tumor, characterized by lesions of the lung pleura and peritoneum. A tumor formed by the mesothelium - the epithelial tissue that lines the surface of the body cavity.
Mesothelioma spares neither adults nor children: the tumor can occur even in 2-year-old kid.
And in men the risk of developing almost 8 times higher than in women. This is due to several reasons.
Causes of Mesothelioma
The main cause of tumor - mesothelioma - a long and intensive contact with the asbestos. It is known that asbestos - a building material; a mixture of fiberglass and plaster. Inhalation of asbestos dust can directly trigger tumor. Asbestos fibers actively affect the membranes of the respiratory tract, are penetrating deeper in the pleura. The accumulation of these fibers and cause mesothelioma - a disease professional builders. Compounding the situation of smoking, while not being the main cause of mesothelioma.
There are also cases where a genetic predisposition has become a major factor in the development of mesothelioma.
Symptoms of Mesothelioma
Early symptoms of pleural mesothelioma include: pain in the chest, weakness, shortness of breath, a dry cough - and many others, neglect of which will lead to irreversible consequences.
Mesothelioma peritoneum usually manifested severe abdominal pain, weakness, vomiting, weight loss. Few people care about these symptoms: one mistake them for symptoms of poisoning, others openly ignore. Remember that mesothelioma "wait" will not be revealed, and after 2-3 months, when the symptoms will be proactive: the pain intensified, and the general condition deteriorates.
Since it's still cancer - cancer treatment effective in the early stages.
The fact that, as in any tumor in the peritoneal mesothelioma there stage. In the first stage of the patient affected the pleura of the lung, lymph nodes at the same time is safe and sound. Mesothelioma peritoneum second stage already has a relatively large "field of activity": it extends to the diaphragm. The third stage is characterized by lymph node and anterior chest wall. The fourth stage - the most dangerous - is involved in the surrounding tissue, and even transported through the bloodstream to a distant organs, such
way, hitting the entire body.
Diagnosing mesothelioma can be done in different ways:
- X-rays will reveal pleural thickening and the presence of fluid in the pleural cavity
- CT (computed tomography) to determine the stage of tumor development and help to appoint effective treatment.
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) was possible to determine not impressed Diaphragm mesothelioma.
- Thoracoscopy - endoscopic method of investigation of the pleural cavity. It manufactures special vehicles, reveals the tumor in its earliest stages. Typically, for a small piece of research taken pleura or pleural fluid. A similar method of investigation - laparoscopy - used for the inspection of the abdominal cavity.
Treatment of mesothelioma is usually carried out in several ways:
- Chemotherapy. Formulations designated chemotherapy can be administered as intravenous and intrapleural (or into the peritoneal cavity in the treatment of peritoneal mesothelioma). Treatment of the tumor with the help of poisons and toxins effectively destroys cancer cells while not causing heavy damage to the human body.
- Radiation therapy or radiation treatment. It characterized as a highly effective method of rapidly destroying the cells in the composition of mesothelioma. Has he had a number of unpleasant side effects: burn tissue, shortness of breath, fatigue, hair loss.
- The surgical method. Treatment of mesothelioma by removing the tumor / pleura is the most effective, but not all patients with mesothelioma it is shown. Only when a satisfactory general condition of the patient and the absence of other diseases allowed surgery. A complete removal of the tumor is possible only if the mesothelioma is localized.
There are also other ways to treat mesothelioma. For example, removal of fluid from the pleural cavity using a needle. After this procedure, there is improvement in the general condition of the patient, reducing pain. However, over time, fluid builds up again and the procedure is repeated. The introduction of antibiotics into the pleural cavity also helps to reduce the amount of liquid and soreness.
Once diagnosed with mesothelioma, people, on average, do not live more than a year, while the average age of cases - 65 years. Think about it and avoid any contact with the deadly substance in his youth, so you do not regret it in old age.