Pineal gland cyst
Cyst of the pineal gland - a hollow formation filled with liquid, forms one of the stakes of the pineal gland.
pineal gland - the structure of the brain, a small, unpaired organ that performs endocrine function. The pineal gland is a small formation of gray-red, located between the cerebral hemispheres in place mezhtalamicheskogo seam. Outside of iron covered with connective capsule. The functions of the pineal gland is still not thoroughly understood because of its small size, characteristics and location of the communication with other structures of the brain. However, it found that the iron is directly involved in the regulation of circadian rhythms (sleep - wakefulness). It is also known that the pineal gland produces melatonin. The functions of the pineal gland include:
- Slowing production growth hormone;
- The regulation of puberty, changes in sexual behavior;
- Inhibition of tumor growth.
Pineal gland cyst is benign, does not turn into a malignant tumor. Cyst brain by the pineal gland - a rare phenomenon. Cystic formation is diagnosed in only 1, 5% of patients with diseases of the brain. Pineal gland cysts are rarely characterized by dynamic growth. Cystic formation does not affect the functioning of the pineal gland, rarely has an impact on the surrounding structures of the brain, impairing their function.
Cyst of the pineal gland of the brain: the causes of
The main reasons for the development of pineal cysts zhelezygolovnogo brain are:
- Blockage of outputting channel, resulting in impaired outflow of melatonin produced by the gland. When blockage excretory ducts occurs accumulation of secretions;
- Echinococcosis - helminthiasis, provoking the formation of parasitic cysts in various organs. In other words, the defeat of the pineal gland echinococcus falling within the gland through the bloodstream. The parasite forms hydatid capsule, protecting themselves from immune attack the body. Pineal cyst formed by the tapeworm shell, filled with waste products of the parasite may slightly increase in size.
Due to the fact that the structure of the brain byway, other reasons for the formation of cysts of the pineal gland of the brain are still not established. It is also explained by the fact that the formation and development of the pineal gland cyst occurs almost asymptomatic.
Cyst of the pineal gland: symptoms
With the development of the pineal gland cysts symptoms usually do not occur. The main complaint of patients become unreasonable headaches that are difficult to associate with other factors such as stress, fatigue, pressure. Cysts diagnosed randomly during the examination of the brain with MRI. Most patients diagnosed with the pineal gland cyst symptoms absent or had common for a number of diseases of the brain:
- The headache is not caused by other factors, occurring haphazardly and without reason;
- Violation of visual function (in most cases, patients reported double vision, blurring the image);
- Incoordination, gait;
- Nausea, vomiting, seizures provoked severe headache;
- Hydrocephalus that develops as a result of compression of the pineal gland duct cyst of the brain and cerebrospinal fluid of current violations.
Severity of symptoms in cystic pineal gland is totally dependent on the size of education and put pressure on other areas of the brain. Upon reaching the critical size of the cyst form may completely block the current of the cerebrospinal fluid, which could have extremely negative consequences for the whole organism.
Symptoms caused by cyst
pineal gland parasitic etiology, will have a somewhat different character. The total clinical picture when hydatid cyst will be complemented by a number of mental disorders: depression, dementia, delirium. In rare cases, seizures occur. When progressive pineal cyst is observed an increase of focal symptoms, increased blood pressure.
Cyst of the pineal gland: risks and forecasts
The main risk in the formation of cysts in the human pineal gland is a high probability of developing hydrocephalus - water on the brain due to the accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the ventricular brain regions. However, the pineal cyst is usually nedinamichny. That is, formed a cyst does not affect the functioning of the brain. Constant monitoring of cystic formation will prevent its further development.
The greatest risk for the diagnosis of cystic formations pineal zhelezyyavlyaetsya staging false diagnosis and ineffective treatment or carrying out unnecessary surgery.
Cyst of the pineal gland: Treatment
Upon detection of the pineal gland cysts treatment is generally not required. In most cases, even an MRI scan may not give a clear idea about the nature of the cyst. To confirm the diagnosis resorting to biopsy and laboratory tests biopsy for cancer cells, and to elucidate the etiology kisty.Kistoznoe education pineal zhelezydolzhno be differentiated from brain tumors.
Cyst shishkovidnogotela brain defies conservative medical education lecheniyu.Kistoznye pineal gland hydatid etiology amenable to medical treatment in the early stages. For large size of the pineal gland cyst treatment involves surgery alone. The indications for surgery are:
- Severity of symptoms;
- Increased risk of hydrocephalus;
- Effect of cysts on the functioning of the cardiovascular system, influencing the adjacent brain structures.
Currently unknown factors that may cause the growth of cysts of the pineal gland. Conducting surgery carries certain risks for the patient. Today, doctors agree on a consensus about the need to constantly monitor the status of the pineal gland cysts provoked by blockage excretory ducts. To monitor the dynamics of the cyst should be MRI-monitored 1 time in 6 months. When the diagnosis of a cyst caused by echinococcosis, in most cases, the decision on removal of the bladder. In cases of pronounced symptoms and the absence of other indications for surgical patients assigned drug treatment for the relief of symptoms.