Headache in the occiput
at least once in their life I experienced a headache in the back. The nature of the pain is different. There may be a sharp headache in the occiput, or dull, throbbing, pressing, aching. The pain may be permanent or occur periodically. The nature of pain associated with the factors that cause it. However, regardless of the cause of headaches in the back of her head, she was always quite painful, and one must get rid of it. But, as is known to cure the disease, it is necessary first to determine its cause.
The main causes of headaches in the back of the head
Pain in the neck may indicate the presence of many diseases. The most common ones are:
- neuralgia occipital nerve;
- disease of the cervical spine, such as spondylitis, low back pain, spondylosis, cervical migraine, etc .;
- spasm of blood vessels of the brain;
- increased intracranial pressure;
- hypertension (high blood pressure);
- long stay in an uncomfortable position;
- stressful conditions;
- excessive muscle strain due to exercise;
- diseases of the temporo-mandibular joint, or malocclusion.
The character of a headache in the neck at various diseases
- cervical osteochondrosis. This disease causes a change in the structure of the intervertebral discs and is accompanied by a constant pain in the back of the head, neck and temples. Often accompanied by soreness nausea, dizziness, hearing loss, loss of coordination. You may see the sense of "veil" in front of the eyes, double vision objects. When tilting the head or sudden movements of the patient falls and loses the ability to move for some time, although it is fully conscious. Often when a patient cervical osteochondrosis cervical migraine occurs, which is accompanied by a sharp headache in occiput, extending to the temples and brow area.
- Cervical spondylosis. The disease is accompanied by a spinal bony growths, which significantly impair the mobility of the neck. The patient in this case is experiencing very frequent headaches in the back of the head, sometimes almost does not stop. In all pan and tilt head pain increases. Because of persistent pain in a patient disturbed sleep.
- Hypertension. Often, high blood pressure is accompanied by a pulsating, frequent headaches in the back of his head. Headaches in the neck are often accompanied by palpitation, general weakness, dizziness and sudden nausea.
- Cervical myositis. The disease often occurs as a result of hypothermia, injury or long-term stay in an uncomfortable position. The main symptom is a headache in the back of the head during movement (pan or tilt) of the head. This pain often gives to the shoulders, neck and interscapular region. For asymmetry characteristic of this disease pain i.e. on the one hand it is more pronounced.
- Miogeloz cervical spine. This disease is characterized by the appearance of painful neck muscles seals, which is accompanied by vertigo and sharp headaches in the back of his head.
- Neuralgia occipital nerve often causes headaches in the back. Pain while wearing paroxysmal in nature, given in the neck, back, ears, lower jaw. Any movement of the head, coughing or sneezing increase the pain. Patients in this disease describe the pain as a "firing."
- Vascular pain caused by spasm of the arteries. The patient complains of pain in the neck, mainly arising from the movement and subsides in a sitting position or lying down. During exertion pain in the neck also are due to vascular pathology. This frequent headaches occur in the neck during intensive physical load and accompanied by a feeling of "pins and needles" in the scalp.
- Professional boli.Neredko they occur in people who are forced by duty dlitelnoevremya be in the same position. For professional pain in the neck occur in drivers and office workers.
- Increased intracranial pressure. Mostly in this disease in a patient, there is pain over the entire circumference of the head, but sometimes it is localized in the neck. It is accompanied by nausea and vomiting, pain, feeling of heaviness in the head. Often these symptoms joins a sharp pain in the eyes in bright light.
- Malocclusion. If the malocclusion is not treated, it often leads to a variety of negative consequences, including the appearance of a dull pain in the neck, is significantly enhanced by the evening. In this pain may last from several hours to several days in a row.
Treatment of headache in the occiput
To assign adequate treatment of headaches in the back of the head, it is necessary to find out the reason why it has arisen. To do this, the patient must undergo a preliminary examination, which includes an X-ray of the cervical spine.
The most common treatment of headaches in the back of the head are engaged following experts: traumatologist, neurologist, chiropractor, doctor of physical therapy, massage therapist, physical therapist.
If the pain
in the back of his head caused by neuralgia occipital nerve, cervical osteochondrosis, stress miogelozom, intracranial pressure, or is professional in nature, effectively help to chiropractic and massage.
When spondylosis and high blood pressure hard massage is strictly contraindicated. And here is an easy self-massage can have a positive effect in any kind of pain in the neck.
A good effect in the treatment of headaches in the back of the head has a physical therapy (magnetic therapy, electrophoresis, ultrasound therapy or laser). Especially indicated for physiotherapy spondylosis, cervical osteochondrosis, miogeloze, increased intracranial pressure, vascular pain, neuralgia occipital nerve.
Therapeutic exercise will be useful for all patients with headaches in the back of the head, in addition to pain caused by malocclusion (here can only help the orthodontist).
Folk remedies for headaches in the back of the head
For mild headaches can have a positive effect following folk remedies:
- regular room ventilation, humidification using special devices;
- hot compress on his head and a hot drink;
- poultice of cabbage leaf, previously in the hands of bruising;
- poultice of chopped onion and grated horseradish;
- warm herbal tea primrose high or linden blossom. Effective as a mixture of herbs: meadowsweet, Salvia officinalis, peppermint.
For headaches in the back of the head is recommended to eliminate the use of tobacco and alcohol, as they contribute to its strengthening. When pain is recommended to adjust the professional workplace so that you feel comfortable to sit on. You can also buy an orthopedic pillow. Sleep on it will contribute to the maximum relaxation of the neck muscles at night.