Clinical Electroencephalography - a way to study the functional activity of the nervous system. Based on the method of EEG recording the electrical potentials of the brain and it is a simple summation of the processes occurring in the neurons of the brain.
Electroencephalography brain prescribed for paroxysmal states, psychosomatic, cognitive, emotional, behavioral, mental, neurotic disorders, with traumatic brain injuries to evaluate their severity and assess the dynamics of the recovery of the brain dyscirculatory and vascular changes in inflammatory diseases of the nervous system, endocrine pathologies character.
Electroencephalography is prescribed for children perinatal disorders of the nervous system.
A feature of the method of electroencephalography is that it can not be used for diagnosis of organic lesions of the nervous system, and is not intended for the final diagnosis. The advantage of the EEG is that the results are objective and can assess the condition of the brain without serious intervention into the patient.
Clinical EEG is considered the most appropriate method for assessing the state of maturity of the nervous system of the brain in general, and study a neurophysiological bases of mental activity.
How to implement the method of electroencephalography
To perform inspection, the patient's head is attached to the electrodes, which are connected to the logger brain activity.
Electrodes and recording devices are different depending on the task.
Bridge electrodes used for clinical EEG those patients who are able to stay for a while in a reclining position or sitting and execute commands neurophysiologist conducting research. Such electrodes can be used during encephalography children after 3-5 years and adults who are conscious and sociable.
Cup electrode is used to study the brain activity of patients unconscious, little children, for long-term EEG study of the brain and brain activity during sleep.
Needle electrodes are used for inspection during the operation for estimating the depth of anesthesia and general condition of the patient. Typically electrodes injected into the scalp, and neurosurgical operations are administered directly into the brain.
Children with disabilities in speech, motor and mental development are increasingly recently appointed electroencephalography. The advantage of this method is that despite the absence of seizures, EEG method allows to reveal hidden pathological disorders of brain activity.
Assign electroencephalography children in such cases:
- delays in the development of psycho-emotional disorders of unknown origin, including in cases of appointment of stimulating neurotrophic treatment;
- to assess compliance of the brain the child's age;
- for the differential diagnosis of epilepsy and monitoring the efficiency of treatment in cases where there are complaints on the part of the loss of consciousness, seizures, fainting, panic attacks, tics, episodes of fading;
- with a deterioration in their child's school and sharp groundless violation behavior. Electroencephalography in these cases, are used to select the proper method of treatment;
- at various sleep disorders, fear and nightmares, walking and talking in his sleep;
- for tumors, trauma, disorders of cerebral blood flow, other diseases of the brain.
Contraindications to electroencephalography no special preparation procedure does not require.